• Thu
  • Apr 17, 2014
  • Updated: 11:18pm

Changchun baby murder

On March 4, 2013, a grey Toyota RAV4 was stolen from outside a convenience store in Changchun's Luyuan district. Strapped into the back seat was Xu Haobo, a two-month-old baby boy. A city-wide manhunt was launched and on March 5 the stolen SUV was found abandoned outside the Yingchengzi Elementary School in Yongfa township. Later that day, a 48-year-old man handed himself in to police, confessing that he had choked the baby to death after stealing the vehicle and had buried its remains in the snow. 

Conflicting reports on seizure of 12,000 shells

PUBLISHED : Friday, 06 April, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 06 April, 2012, 12:00am

More than 12,000 artillery shells were seized from a truck in the central province of Hubei on Sunday, local media reported yesterday.

The truck was heading to the northeastern provonce of Jilin from the southwestern municpality of Chongqing when traffic police stopped it.

A highway patrol officer in Lichuan city, operating under the jurisdiction of Hubei, told the Enshi Evening News that the thousands of armour-piercing projectiles and high-explosive shells were seized in a container on a red truck late on Sunday evening.

No details were given on whether the driver had a government- or military-issued licence.

But in an unexpected twist late yesterday evening, a news portal affiliated with official local newspaper Enshi Daily said Lichuan police had ascertained the ammunitions were of 'normal military goods transportation' and the truck had been released on Monday - three days before the Enshi Evening News report.

The original report said the container had a hazardous chemical goods sign, which attracted police attention, as trucks carrying such items were not allowed on the expressway. More than 10 tonnes of ammunition were found packed in 236 boxes.

The driver told the police that he did not know what type of goods he was transporting, other than being told by a Chongqing-based firm to deliver them to Jilin. The firm's name was not disclosed.

When asked to comment on the case yesterday, a police spokesman gave no information.

Macau-based International Military Association president Antony Wong Dong said yesterday that the ammunition may have been unusable items the military had sold off.

Share

Login

SCMP.com Account

or