• Mon
  • Apr 21, 2014
  • Updated: 9:21pm

City Digest

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 18 April, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 18 April, 2012, 12:00am

Trial date set for prison officers accused of assault

August 13 was set yesterday for the start of a six-day District Court trial of three prison officers accused of assaulting a Taiwanese detainee on August 14, 2009. The detainee died later. Leung Shing-chi, 46, So Ka-wai, 33, and Tang Yuk-po, 48, are charged with wounding with intent. They were suspended from duty by the Correctional Services Department, but are free on bail. Prosecutors told the court they planned to call three civilian witnesses, 12 police witnesses and three expert witnesses. Barrister Oliver Davies will defend the trio.

Sentencing of former principal adjourned

Sentencing was adjourned to April 25 on Annette Louise Ho Chang Wai-yee, 68, the former principal of W. F. Joseph Lee Primary School in Tin Shui Wai, and contractor Kenny Ng Kit-ming, 47, who were convicted in the District Court of conspiracy to defraud. Ng was also convicted of 37 counts of using false documents involving maintenance contracts worth HK$1.3 million. The trial judge was given more than 100 mitigation letters yesterday on Ho's behalf, including one from former director of education Helen Yu Lai Ching-ping.

Driver jailed 3 years for pedestrian's death

A 54-year-old minibus driver was jailed for three years and had his licence suspended for five years over the death of a 77-year-old pedestrian on May 23 last year in Tsuen Wan. Hui Wang-chin, who was convicted in the District Court of dangerous driving causing death, had hit the pedestrian after jumping a red traffic light. Deputy District Judge Bina Chainrai said she had to impose a deterrent sentence because the legislature and society considered such offences serious.

Musician's maid arrested over HK$5m break-in

Police arrested the former domestic helper of well-known Taiwanese musician Liu Jia-chang in connection with a break-in at his Tseung Kwan O house and theft of a safe containing HK$5 million in cash and jewellery. The helper, 25, was sacked on March 31 and the theft was discovered on April 2. She has been released on bail. No charges have been laid.

Share

Login

SCMP.com Account

or