Kam keeps seat after motion rejected

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 19 April, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 19 April, 2012, 12:00am


Pan-democratic lawmaker Kam Nai-wai kept his seat in the legislature after his counterparts voted down a motion against him yesterday.

The censure motion against Kam, of the Democratic Party, was over his 2009 dismissal of a female aide who had spurned his affections.

Legislators will also vote on a motion against League of Social Democrats lawmaker 'Long Hair' Leung Kwok-hung today.

Democrats and Liberal Party members were among the 27 legislators who rejected the motion against Kam, moved by House Committee chairwoman Miriam Lau Kin-yee.

Twenty lawmakers abstained, including members of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong and Federation of Trade Unions.

None of the 48 lawmakers present supported the motion.

The vote on Kam came three weeks after a Legco panel concluded, after a 26-month investigation that cost taxpayers HK$1.57 million, that his acts were not so grave as to warrant a disqualification.

The panel found his media assistant, Kimmie Wong Lai-chu, started to avoid him after he showed what he called 'good feelings' in June 2009. Two days after Wong refused Kam's invitation to lunch on September 23, 2009, she was sacked without notice.

Yesterday, Kam joined party chairman Albert Ho Chun-yan in accusing the investigation panel of procedural injustice, while apologising again to Wong.

Kam said the committee had failed to tell him in advance the number of witnesses to be called and the estimated time needed for the investigation.

He said it had also denied him the opportunity to question the witnesses.

Meanwhile, Leung is facing a motion to relieve him of his duties because of a two-month jail term he was given last month.

The motion, by pro-government independent Paul Tse Wai-chun, came after Leung was convicted for disrupting a public forum held in September last year to discuss the government's proposal to scrap Legco by-elections. He was found guilty of criminal damage and disorderly behaviour.