Five arrested in recycling plant murder

PUBLISHED : Monday, 23 April, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 23 April, 2012, 12:00am


Five suspects have been arrested in connection with a murder and gang robbery at a Tin Shui Wai recycling plant in which a 38-year-old mainlander was killed.

Officers from the New Territories North regional crime unit captured the fifth suspect, aged 47, in Sau Mau Ping yesterday, hours after the four other suspects were arrested in the New Territories on Saturday.

A medium-sized goods vehicle thought to be used in the robbery was also found early yesterday, in Pat Heung. The truck, originally black, was apparently repainted white.

Officers escorted a hooded and chained suspect to his flat in Tai Nan Street, Sham Shui Po, yesterday afternoon to collect evidence. A mobile phone worth HK$4,000 and HK$1,000 in cash belonging to the dead man were recovered during first arrests, police said.

The five were believed to be part of a gang of six or seven who raided the open-air recycling storage area on Shek Po East Road in Hung Shui Kiu for metallic items at about midnight on Saturday morning.

They were confronted by two men, aged 38 and 19, who were cousins holding two-way permits from the mainland, police said. The pair were believed to have been working at the plant, operated by a local relative. They were staying at the facility when the gang came. They resisted, and a fight ensued.

The two men were attacked with items from the plant, fell unconscious and were tied up with wires.

The younger man ran out to a nearby service station for help after he regained consciousness at about 1.40am on Saturday. The other man, surnamed Guo, who had suffered multiple head and bodily injuries, was confirmed dead at Tuen Mun Hospital shortly afterwards.

Scores of officers were deployed to the cordoned-off crime scene. The suspects were detained for questioning. No charges had been laid last night. Police urged anyone with information to call 3661 3348.