Two fall ill after eating wild mushrooms
Two people, both aged 65, were admitted to hospital after eating poisonous wild mushrooms on Friday. The two picked the mushrooms on Mount Parker Road in Quarry Bay and ate them at home. They were sent to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital after becoming ill, but were now in a stable condition, the Health Department said.
Woman's death triggers Chinese drug recall
The Health Department ordered Hip Wo Medicine, a Chinese drug firm, to recall all batches of its Radix aconiti lateralis product, which is suspected to be involved in the death of an 83-year-old woman. She is suspected to have died of aconitum alkaloid poisoning after taking a prescribed Chinese medicine containing Radix aconiti lateralis, which could have been contaminated, after visiting a registered Chinese medicine practitioner in Yau Ma Tei.
Man charged with murder and drugs possession
Police yesterday charged a South Asian man, 31, with murder and possession of dangerous drugs. He was arrested in Tai Po on Thursday in connection with a murder and robbery at a recycling plant on Shek Po East Road, Tin Shui Wai on April 21. A 38-year-old mainlander was killed in the incident. A small quantity of methamphetamine was found during the arrest. The suspect will appear before Tuen Mun Court tomorrow.
Mainlander jailed for assisting pregnant women
A mainland woman, 29, was jailed yesterday for 11 weeks after pleading guilty to four counts of breaching her conditions of stay in Hong Kong. Visitors may not , take up employment or join in any business without permission. She illegally helped arrange for expectant mainland women to visit the city for check-ups and have their babies.
Man, 80, arrested for attacking fellow resident
A resident of an old people's home was arrested for assault in Tuen Mun. The 80-year-old man attacked a fellow resident, aged 85, with a paper cutter after they quarrelled about money at the facility at Kai Fat Path. The older man was sent to hospital.