Watermelon and tomato salad
I love the sweet, salty, tart and pungent flavours and the varied textures of this refreshing, summery salad. The dressing should have just a hint of sesame oil; if you add too much, it will overwhelm.
If you like, prepare the ingredients for the salad in advance, then cover them with cling film and refrigerate. The ingredients should be mixed together and dressed just before serving or the salad becomes soggy, which dilutes the dressing.
700 grams seedless ripe watermelon, rind removed (weigh it after removing the rind), chilled
200 grams cherry tomatoes (preferably a mix of yellow, orange and red), chilled
200 grams feta or soft goats' cheese
15ml aged balsamic vinegar
15ml rice wine vinegar 5ml pure sesame oil, or to taste
60ml extra virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt and rough-flaked sea salt (such as Maldon or fleur de sel)
Fresh flat-leaf parsley (small leaves)
- Use a whisk to mix the balsamic vinegar with the rice wine vinegar. Whisk constantly as you add the sesame oil a few drops at a time, then as you drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil in a slow, steady stream.
- Stir in a little salt, then taste the dressing and correct the seasoning if needed.
- Cut the watermelon into two-bite chunks. Halve the cherry tomatoes and mix them in with the watermelon chunks.
- Whisk the vinaigrette again to combine the ingredients, then pour it over the tomatoes and watermelon and mix thoroughly.
- Cut the feta into cubes (or if using goats' cheese, crumble it).
- Add the cheese to the bowl containing the tomatoes and watermelon and mix gently. Pile the ingredients into a serving dish.
- Garnish with small parsley leaves, sprinkle with rough-flaked sea salt and serve immediately.