Woman assaulted in long-standing village row

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 03 May, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 03 May, 2012, 12:00am
 

A woman was bludgeoned over the head in a daylight attack as a long-standing dispute between two groups of Ma On Shan villagers escalated yesterday.

The attacker put a black towel over his nose and mouth in an attempt to cover his identity, but a mobile phone and a wallet were left at the scene of the attack at Kwun Hang Tsuen off Sai Sha Road.

The victim, Wendy Hui, 39, was left bleeding from her head and was in a stable condition last night in Prince of Wales Hospital, Sha Tin.

Police are looking for a suspected Wo Shing Wo triad member in connection with the case. The unnamed man is one of the villagers involved in a long-standing that started as a dispute over parking a decade ago.

No arrest has been made.

'His identity has been established because he left behind his wallet and mobile phone at the scene,' he said.

The officer believes a long-standing dispute between the victim and other villagers sparked the attack. Detectives from Sha Tin anti-triad squad are investigating.

Hui was alone when the attacker approached her outside a kennel she owns in the village at about 9.45am.

According to the victim's younger sister, who did not want to be named, the attacker suddenly rushed out and struck Hui in the head with a hard object, thought to be a brick.

'My sister grabbed his shirt and put up a struggle,' she said. 'During the scuffle, she pulled down the towel used to partly cover his mouth and nose, saw his face and recognised him as one of the villagers.'

The victim called police after he fled on foot. She was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital. Officers searched the area but no one was arrested.

It was not the first time Hui had been attacked since five families were banned from using the main access road to the village, part of which is owned by Hui's mother, in 2009.

But yesterday's incident was the 'most serious attack', according to her sister.

'My sister had been intimidated and had stones hurled at her in the past,' she said. 'It appears the attacks are getting worse.'

She said there had been trouble since outsiders moved into the village. The dispute began in 2003 with an argument over parking.

In 2009, members of the families that had been barred from the road began receiving phone calls soliciting sex and asking the price.

The female members of the families learnt that their names and contact numbers had been scrawled on the wall of the men's public toilet in the village.

Hui said at the time that her family had banned the other families from the road as they had 'disrupted village harmony'. But she denied any involvement in the nuisance calls or toilet wall graffiti.

Share

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive