• Fri
  • Sep 19, 2014
  • Updated: 5:13am
Business

Panama's president to make Europe trip to force consortium to finish canal expansion

PUBLISHED : Friday, 03 January, 2014, 3:30pm
UPDATED : Friday, 03 January, 2014, 4:49pm

Panama’s president said he would visit Europe to force a consortium to back off a threat to suspend expansion work on the Panama Canal in an escalating row over US$1.6 billion in cost overruns.

The Spanish-led construction group has threatened to halt the massive project within three weeks if the Panama Canal Authority fails to pay for the extra costs.

President Ricardo Martinelli, however, said on Thursday he expected the Grupo Unidos por el Canal (GUPC) consortium to finish the work “without any setbacks, because these cost overruns are irresponsible”.

“I will go to Spain and Italy to demand these governments take moral responsibility for what happened, because it is not possible that a company put huge extra charges on expansion work,” he told reporters, without disclosing a date for his trip.

Panama Ports Co, part of Li Ka-shing’s Hutchison Whampoa conglomerate, operates the ports at both ends of the canal.

Spanish builder Sacyr, the consortium’s leader, said on Thursday it had set the canal authorities a 21-day deadline before suspending its US$3.2 billion contract to expand the capacity of the canal, notably by installing a third set of canal locks.

The project aims to make the 80 kilometre waterway – which handles five per cent of global maritime trade – big enough to handle new, massive cargo ships that carry 12,000 containers.

“GUPC has formally informed the Panama Canal Authority that it will suspend work if the failures to comply are not put right within the advised period,” Sacyr said in a statement to Spanish market regulators.

The overall cost of the Panama Canal expansion project has been estimated at US$5.2 billion.

On Wednesday, Panama Canal administrator Jorge Quijano warned that the canal authority would use contractual mechanisms to ensure the completion of the canal expansion.

“No matter what kind of pressure is exercised against the [Panama Canal Authority], we maintain our demand that Grupo Unidos por el Canal respect the contract that they agreed to and signed,” he said in a statement quoted by Panama media.

A year ago, GUPC demanded an extra payment of US$1.6 billion from the Panama Canal Authority owing to construction delays.

“There are many and varied unforeseen costs which came up during these gigantic works,” a Sacyr spokesman said.

“They are technical matters, questions over cement ingredients, geotechnical matters, geological questions, taxes matters, financial matters, labour issues and weather conditions.”

 

The consortium also includes Impregilo of Italy, Belgian firm Jan De Nul and Panama’s Constructora Urbana.

It began work on a third set of locks for the canal in 2009 and expects to complete construction in June next year, already a nine-month delay over the date set in the contract.

The new locks will accommodate larger ships with a capacity of 12,000 containers – instead of those with 5,000 containers that are now able to navigate the canal.

Some 13,000 to 14,000 ships navigate the canal each year.

According to the canal authority, there was a delay of four months shortly after the project began, to reverse a GUPC plan to use lower-quality cement.

But Sacyr said the cost overruns were due to “unforeseeable” circumstances and had been reported to the relevant authorities, including the Dispute Adjudication Board.

“GUPC is maintaining communication with the Panama Canal Authority to reach a satisfactory agreement to put an end to the contractual imbalance,” it said. The canal uses a system of locks to raise ships from sea level and enable them to sail through the continental divide.

Share

Related topics

More on this story

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or