• Fri
  • Sep 19, 2014
  • Updated: 8:25am
Corporate China
PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 25 September, 2013, 7:25pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 25 September, 2013, 7:29pm

Microsoft late again to gaming market with new JV

Microsoft's new gaming joint venture with BesTV is likely to fail due to its late arrival to a highly competitive sector dominated by local players

BIO

Doug Young has lived and worked in China for 15 years, much of that as a journalist for Reuters writing about Chinese companies. He currently lives in Shanghai where he teaches financial journalism at Fudan University. He writes daily on his blog, Young’s China Business Blog (www.youngchinabiz.com), commenting on the latest developments at Chinese companies listed in the US, China and Hong Kong. He is also author of a new book about the media in China, “The Party Line: How the Media Dictates Public Opinion in Modern China.”
 

After years of being locked out of China's lucrative gaming market, US software giant Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) may have finally found an opening through a new joint venture with BesTV (Shanghai: 600637), the digital arm of the nation's second largest media company. On the one hand I should congratulate Microsoft for its tenacity in pursuing China's electronic gaming market, which is one of the world's largest. But on the other hand, I have to return to one of my common refrains about the world's biggest software maker in observing that this effort looks a bit late and will have difficulty finding an audience in China's highly competitive gaming market. I also have my doubts about the selection of BesTV as its partner, but I'll come back to that later.

First, let's start with a quick look at the headline news, which will see Microsoft invest up to $237 million (HK$1.84 billion) in the gaming joint venture with BesTV, the digital TV arm of Shanghai Media Group (SMG). BesTV will hold 51 per cent of the venture, while Microsoft will hold the remaining 49 per cent. There's not much detail on what the venture will do, beyond the official announcement that it will develop family games and related services.

Microsoft, Sony (Tokyo: 6753) and other gaming console makers have been locked out of China for the last decade due to strict government controls. Beijing ended the ban in July, saying foreign-made consoles could be allowed into the market if the companies set up operations in a new free trade zone being launched later this month in Shanghai and agree to let Chinese censors vet their games.

While this new joint venture could indeed open the door for Microsoft to sell its Xbox consoles in China, it's far from clear that it has such plans with this venture. For starters, BesTV provides digital video services over traditional cable TV networks and has little or no experience with gaming consoles. That means we're far more likely to see the pair modify some of Microsoft's existing Xbox titles for use over BesTV's existing pay TV networks. That would make far more sense anyhow in China, since offering games online helps to minimize the potential for piracy that is rampant in China.

So if the joint venture ends up offering games over BesTV's cable networks, the question becomes: What are its chances for success? My answer to that question is "Not very much". The main reason is that China's online game market is already quite crowded with strong players like Tencent (0700.HK), NetEase (Nasdaq: NTES) and Shanda Games (Nasdaq: GAME). Furthermore, many of the big global game developers like Electronic Arts (Nasdaq: EA) and Activision Blizzard (Nasdaq: ATVI) that make titles for Xbox are also already quite active in China through separate tie-ups with local partners.

At the same time, BesTV doesn't really look like the best partner for Microsoft or anyone with serious national ambitions in China's online entertainment. Despite announcing numerous tie-ups over the last two years, including one this year with national broadcaster CCTV, BesTV has yet to have a real impact on China's national pay TV market. Instead, the privately owned Internet giants like Tencent and Baidu (Nasdaq: BIDU) seem to be making more inroads into the market through creative tie-ups and acquisitions of other private sector players.

This latest Microsoft venture follows other late arrivals by the US company into other highly competitive online spaces like search and e-commerce in China. This new tie-up seems to repeat that pattern, with the result that I'd give this new joint venture only a very small chance for success in China's electronic and online gaming market.

Bottom line: Microsoft's new gaming joint venture with BesTV is likely to fail due to its late arrival to a highly competitive sector dominated by local players.

To read more commentaries from Doug Young, visit youngchinabiz.com

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or