Man of the moment Riccardo Tisci's dark, sensual designs for Givenchy come straight from the heart, writes Jing Zhang.
First thing China, August 27
Microsoft is the last of the three big video game console...
Ford Australia faces costs double those in Europe and four...
Ai Weiwei, China's most renowned dissident artist, has...
With so many groups seeking funds, it can be tough figuring...
Island holidays are usually about relaxing, departing from...
Keywords: Shaanxi, Yan'an, Guangzhou, PSB, Xinjiang, Gambling, Harbin
Shaanxi bus crash casualties hard to identify
Difficulty identifying all 36 sleeper bus passengers in yesterday's fatal expressway accident in Yan'an, Shaanxi province, has led to calls to implement a real-name policy, currently required of all mainland train and flight passengers, for those who travel by coach.
Guangzhou PSB deputy chief under investigation
Guangzhou daily newspaper New Express reported late yesterday evening that He Jing, deputy head of the Guangzhou Public Security Bureau (PSB), is being investigated for "serious discipline violations". He also serves as deputy secretary of the Guangzhou PSB party committee.
Rail infrastructure spending increases in Xinjiang
According to Xinhua, 12.94 billion yuan (HK$15.79 billion) has been invested in 12 different projects to lay railway tracks throughout Xinjiang this year. The report says that nearly 11.6 billion yuan was spent in 2011 to give the autonomous region a total of more than 4,000 kilometres of railway, a figure that will reach 8,200 kilometres by 2015 according to the 12th five-year plan (2011-15).
Police topple gambling ring centred in Guangdong, Zhejiang
Police yesterday informed media that more than 1,900 police from across the country were rallied earlier this month in an operation to shut down a gambling syndicate spanning 30 provinces and municipalities throughout the mainland. According to the Beijing News, more than 1,500 suspects were detained throughout the two-day operation and 16 million yuan (HK$19.53 million) seized.
Collapsed Harbin bridge construction firm yet to be identified
The collapse Friday of a newly-built bridge in Harbin, which resulted in 3 deaths and left 5 injured, became an even greater scandal when authorities were said to be unable to determine the name of the construction company which built the bridge. The Beijing Times yesterday named the Harbin-based contractor which oversaw the bridge's construction, and claims to have identified the construction company hired to build the bridge, located somewhere in Fujian province. According to the newspaper, a representative of the Fujian company hung up the phone immediately after a reporter mentioned the bridge in question, and numerous subsequent calls all went unanswered. A report from the same newspaper today quotes transportation officials as saying that the results of their investigation into the accident will be released within 2 days.