Monday, 04 February, 2013, 3:55pm

New dawn for China? Corruption crackdown nets big and small officials

BIO

Since the Communist Party's new leader Xi Jinping announced a crackdown on corruption amongst officials in November 2012, a raft of suspected offenders have been sacked or suspended for alleged wrongdoing. Here, SCMP.com brings you a comprehensive guide to the latest officials under investigation.

Recommended on Facebook

Lifestyle

For decades, we've been told by dietitians, doctors and...

In a city where food can be found in nearly every street and...

Taiwanese-born Ang Lee won his second Oscar for best...

China’s Huawei, the No 3 smartphone maker behind giants...

Styles have been mixed and matched to imbue a south side home...

Click on our interactive map

In November 2012, the Communist Party's new leader Xi Jinping announced a crackdown on corruption amongst officials. Since then, a raft of suspected offenders have been sacked or suspended for alleged wrongdoing. Here, SCMP.com brings you a comprehensive guide to the latest officials under investigation.

2012

November: Lǚ Yingming, former deputy director of Guangdong Provincial Department of Land and Resources, under investigation for “serious violations of discipline”.

November 26: Shenzhen policeman Wang Dengchao, 38, found guilty of embezzlement when he was among those in charge of security for the World University Games in Shenzhen in 2011, the rights group Chinese Human Rights Defenders said. Xinhua said in an earlier report that Wang had embezzled 2.8 million yuan (HK$3.4 million). He was also convicted of "obstructing official duty" for scuffling with a police officer in March.

Read the story 

November 28: Zhou Weisi, a senior official in Nanlian village, located in the outskirts of Shenzhen's Longgang district, accused of corruption and of owning a vast amount of personal assets that don't match his income.

Read the story

November 29: Zheng Beiquan, formerly deputy mayor and public security bureau chief in Yingde, under investigation by Qingyuan's discipline inspection committee. Zheng was accused of bending the law for personal gain and involvement in "serious economic problems".

Read the story

December 2: Zhou Xikai, deputy director of Foshan's public security bureau and former deputy police chief, under investigation by officials after an online posting accused him of owning assets worth at least 100 million yuan (HK$123.42 million). He has been accused of owning several properties across the district of Shunde, including two homes valued at more than 60 million yuan and a number of workshops and stores valued at 30 million yuan, the Nanfang Daily reported.

Read the story

December 3: Qi Fang, head of the Public Security Bureau in Usu, was sacked after online allegations surfaced claiming he had employed 31-year-old twins at the bureau five months after he was promoted to police chief in June last year. One of the women was made vice-captain of special operations, while the other was made an assistant police officer in the traffic department. Married Qi has since denied that he had sex with the twins.

Read the story

December 4: Liang Daoxing, former Shenzhen vice-mayor, under investigation by Guangdong and Shenzhen disciplinary authorities. Mainland newspapers have started pointing fingers at the four years Liang spent in charge of the preparation and construction work for the World University Games, which were held in Shenzhen last year and are also known as the Universiade. In particular, newspapers have highlighted a link between Liang and Xu Zongheng, the former Shenzhen mayor who was implicated in the Games scandal and received a suspended death sentence in May last year.

Read the story

December 5: Yuan Zhanting, Lanzhou mayor, investigated after photographs posted on the internet showed him wearing at least five luxury watches that he could not have afforded on his official salary.

Read the story

December 5: Li Chuncheng, Sichuan's deputy party chief, under investigation accused of "severely breaching party discipline". Luo said that Liu's wife and son were shareholders in a private company that used forged documents to obtain bank loans and transferred a "huge amount of money" to their personal account.

Read the story

Read the story

Update, December 14: Li Chuncheng dismissed as deputy party secretary of Sichuan province and dismissed from the Central Committee.

Read the story 

December 6: Chen Hong-ping, Guangdong Jieyang Municipal Party Committee Secretary, accused of serious disciplinary problems.

December 7: Liu Tienan, director of the National Energy Administration and the deputy director of the National Development and Reform Commission, publicly accused of keeping a mistress while in Japan, that his master's degree from Nagoya University in Japan was an honorary degree rather than a credential earned through graduation, and that his wife and son were shareholders in a private company that used forged documents to obtain bank loans and transferred a "huge amount of money" to their personal account. UPDATE: January 31, 2013: A formal investigation into the activities of the country's top energy regulator, Liu Tienan, allegedly launched by Beijing after a veteran journalist at a respected mainland magazine reported a series of allegations against him. 

Read the story 

December 14: Zhang Xin, deputy chief of Hangzhou's Housing Management Bureau, under investigation by the party's anti-graft watchdog in Zhejiang's provincial capital for "taking advantage of his position and making personal gains". Online postings alleged Zhang had more than 20 properties under his name worth hundreds of millions of yuan, mostly offered as gifts by property developers.

Read the story 

December 17: Ma Lin, former deputy head of the Ningxia Hui autonomous region forestry administration, was expelled from the party and removed from his administrative post for bribery. Xinhua reported Ma had "taken advantage of his post and accepted bribes" and that the region's commission of discipline inspection was conducting an inquiry.

Read the story

December 17: Dr Jiang Hanping , director of Shenzhen's Health, Population and Family Planning Commission, investigated for "serious discipline violations". Jiang, 55, previously worked as chief of a public hospital and head of the city's health bureau. A Xinhua report gave no details about the suspected violations.

Read the story 

December 17: Mao Yixin, head of the Land and Resources Bureau in Chengdu's Xindu district, reportedly put under shuanggui, which allows for the detention and interrogation of party members, at the end of September, Beijing News reported. The report confirmed an internet rumour that Mao had fallen from grace after becoming involved in a big property development project in northern Chengdu. More than 38 million yuan (HK$47 million) in cash was rumoured to have been found in his home.

Read the story 

December 20: A dozen women cadres become entangled in a scandal involving accepting prepaid cards for spa treatments and hairdressing. In another case, a male official was arrested recently for using public funds to pay for his mistress' cosmetic treatments, the Procuratorial Daily reported. Beijing prosecutors said the 13 officials who had been snared in the crackdown on "cosmetic corruption" were middle- and high-ranking officials in a variety of government departments and public institutions.

Read the story  

December 20: Lv Fengshan, a Hebei county traffic bureau chief, accused of arranging for 14 relatives to get government or government-related jobs.

Read the story

December 27: Former China Railway Container Transport chairman, Luo Jinbao, goes on trial for corruption at a court in Qiqihar, Heilongjiang. The 56-year-old was said to have introduced ousted railways minister Liu Zhijun to Ding Shumiao - believed to have found Liu numerous young women for sex - and made 800 million yuan (HK$983 million) from rail projects. Prosecutors accused Luo of taking 47 million yuan in bribes, as well as illegally owning a shotgun.

December 31: Chen Xuedu, a neighbourhood chief from Shenzhen's Luohu district has been suspended pending a probe into allegations of nepotism and misuse of public vehicles, the Southern Metropolis Daily reports. Xuedu, who serves as head and party secretary of the Cuizhu Neighbourhood Committee, was accused of using his influence to help about 50 friends and relatives get jobs in agencies tied to the group.

December 31: Cui Zhenfeng, the former director of a district real estate bureau, has been identified as the Zhengzhou official whose relative owns 11 public flats in the city, the Beijing Times reports. The homes are owned by his 21-year-old daughter. He left his Erqi district post last year. The media began looking into the case after a Hong Kong reporter disclosed the relationship - but neither names nor titles - on his microblog last week.

December 31: Hui Linbo, former deputy mayor of Dangjiangkou, has been sentenced to eight years in prison for taking 1.5 million yuan in bribes from property developers and local businesses between 2005 and last year, www.cnhubei.com reports. 

2013

January 4: Fang Guangyun, head of the Zhanbei neighbourhood committee in Hefei, under investigation over allegations that he amassed 20 million yuan (HK$24.6 million) through illicit land deals, the Oriental Morning Post reports. He is accused of forcing farmers to sell their land for as little as 105,000 yuan per hectare, then selling it to developers for as much as 450,000 yuan per hectare.

January 10: Party secretary of the Ningbo Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau Jin Junjie is revealed to be under investigation on suspicion of serious violation of Party discipline.

January 11: Director of Shenzhen's Health, Population and Family Planning Commission Jiang Hanping is removed from his seat on the Shenzhen municipal people's congress standing committee after being placed under investigation late last year. According to Xinhua Jiang was formally arrested on charges of graft on January 31.

January 14: Li Yali, police chief in Taiyuan, capital of Shanxi province, has been placed on probation within the Communist Party for one year and is set to be fired. Li was suspended from his post and subjected to an internal investigation by the party's graft-busting watchdog after he allegedly tried to cover up a drink-driving case involving his son, Li Zhengyuan, who is alleged to have attacked the traffic officer who pulled him over on October 13, Xinhua reported early last month.

Read the story 

January 15: Former Wukan Party high-up Chen Zengxin is removed from his positions within government and the Communist Party and indicted.

January 15: Guo Yongfei is charged with accepting bribes and stripped of his role as a member of the Shanxi province people's political conference.

January 17: Four traffic police officers in Guangzhou have been sentenced to between five and 12 years in jail for taking bribes from a businessman who operated a vehicle-inspection centre between 2004 and last year, the Guangzhou Daily reports. Six officers were found guilty of accepting 12.5 million yuan in exchange for allowing the businessman to certify the use of tens of thousands of vehicles that should have been scrapped. The other two officers have not been sentenced. The businessman received a 17-year jail sentence in October.

January 17: Chen Zengxin, former Lufeng party secretary who led 1,400 SWAT police in sealing off Wukan, expelled from the Party for taking bribes. Chen was appointed to the Shanwei municipal standing committee and made party secretary of the political-legal commission, later playing a leadership role locally in the 'two strikes, three constructs' campaign against organised crime throughout Guangdong province.

January 17: The former construction bureau chief in Changchun city's Erdao district was sentenced to life imprisonment and the confiscation of all his personal assets after he was convicted of taking 8 million yuan in bribes between 2003 and 2011, the Procuratorial Daily reports.

January 17: Yi Junqing, a senior Chinese official, lost his job after a jilted mistress detailed their alleged affair in an online essay topping 100,000 written characters. 

Read the story

January 21: A former village party secretary in Miyun county has been charged with taking more than 4.65 million yuan (HK$5.74 million) in bribes, the Beijing Times reports. Xiang Mingxing is accused of taking the money from property developers between November 2007 and July 2011, in exchange for lowering the amount of compensation that the developers had to pay to people whose land had been seized for development.

January 22: Gong Aiai, a former Shenmu County Rural Commercial Bank deputy governor, under investigation after she registered two sets of hukou (household registration permit) to purchase 20 properties in Beijing worth about one billion yuan (HK$1.24 billion). The Shaanxi office of the China Banking Regulatory Commission's office is investigating while police have revoked Gong's ID and hukou.

Read the story

January 22: Shandong's deputy agriculture chief, Shan Zengde, investigated for violating party discipline, a common euphamism for corruption, China National Radio reported. 

January 22: Du Zeyong, the office director for the Liaocheng city government in Shandong, under investigation after pictures surfaced online showing him wearing a red G-string and posing intimately with a woman who was not his wife. 

January 22: Conghua Mayor Guo Qinghe and the city's deputy chief of forestry and gardening, Liu Yantong, under investigation for "severely violating party disciplines", according to China News Service. Guo worked in the province's forestry administration for 20 years prior to his current post. 

January 24: In Chongqing, Party secretary of Jiulongpo district Peng Zhiyong and Zhou Tianyun, chairman of a real estate group in the city, are among 10 Party and government officials placed under investigation after sex tapes featuring them are leaked to media.

January 29: Feng Xiangyong, deputy mayor of Yunfu, Guangdong, is expelled from the Party and placed under investigation or gambling and accepting bribes.

January 27: Li Jianguo, member of the China's elite Politburo and the vice-chairman of the national rubber-stamp legislature, under investigation although has not been charged with any offence. If charges do result, Li would be the highest-ranking official snagged in an anti-corruption drive launched by the new party leadership.

Read the story

January 29: Chairman of the Anhui Military Industry Group Huang Xiaohu is investigated for severe violation of party discipline.

January 29: Deputy party secretary of SOE Magang Group Zhao Jianming is placed under investigation for serious violation of Party discipline.

January 30: Huang Yubiao, billionaire real estate tycoon from Hunan province, revealed that he paid 320,000 yuan (HK$394,000) in bribes to more than 300 provincial people's congress deputies in a failed attempt to win a seat on the body. The province's top anti-graft committee had acknowledged that "parts" of the allegations were true, and an investigation was underway, the Guangdong-based Southern Metropolis Daily reported.

Read the story

January 30: Lu Yingming, deputy director of Guangdong's Land and Resources Department has been expelled from the Communist Party for taking huge bribes. Guangdong's party discipline inspection commission said Lu had been expelled from the party recently in light of an ongoing anti-graft investigation, the provincial party mouthpiece Nanfang Daily reported.

Read the story

February 4: Shenmu County Rural Commercial Bank deputy governor Yang Liping is found to have purchased 12 flats in Beijing under one of his wife's name, as it is has also been reported she was discovered by police to be in possession of three separate active identities. The ongoing investigation into Yang's former associate Gao Aiai, meanwhile, has turned up at least 4 hukous and 41 separate flats all belonging to her. She's also been missing for 14 consecutive days.

February 4: Media following up on an online tip confirm that Zhang Xiuting, an anti-corruption official in Heilongjiang, owns, along with his wife, a total of 17 separate flats.

February 6: Zhao Haibin, a senior Public Security Bureau official in Lufeng, Guangdong, accused of owning 192 properties in a nearby city. He became the target of a probe after reports that he owned the properties in Huizhou, the Guangzhou-based Southern Metropolis Daily reported.

Read the story

February 9: Ying Guoquan, a former director at a state-owned company, was given a suspended death sentence by the Zhejiang Higher People's Court for graft, embezzlement and misappropriating assets, the Economic Information Daily reports. Ying's company used a name almost identical to the state-owned company, and cheated it out of businesses. He made illegal profits of more than 370 million yuan in seven years.

February 9: Zhou Zhenhong, a former member of the Standing Committee of the Guangdong Communist Party and head of its provincial United Front Work Department, stripped of his party membership and official posts and faces government prosecution, according to a decision from the party's anti-graft agency. The Central Commission for Discipline Inspection said its investigation found that Zhou took advantage of his position to benefit others and also accepted bribes. He was found to have received large quantities of cash and expensive gifts, and was involved in corruption cases in Maoming city. 

February 19: Zhou Weisi, a deputy chief of a Shenzhen sub-district community office who allegedly amassed two billion yuan (HK$2.46 billion) in assets was formally arrested for suspected paying and taking of bribes early this month, the city's prosecutor office said. Weisi, of Longgang sub-district, and four other officials were placed under investigation last month after allegations online.

February 19: The chief and a deputy chief of the Zhenba county water resources authority in Hanzhong have been warned after they were exposed for organising a trip to Hainan for 27 staff members and then paid to have the incriminating posts removed from the internet, the Xian Evening Post reports. An investigation by the county's Communist Party discipline watchdog found the five-day trip starting on January 2 had been paid for by the staff members but having 27 of them travelling when they should have been at work set a bad precedent and should be punished. One of the officials was found to have paid 3,000 yuan to have the online posting removed.

Login

SCMP.com Account

or