Five things to know about Uma Wang’s Paris Fashion Week debut
Chinese fashion veteran and designer Wang has made her debut in Paris – and here’s what was worth watching:
1) It might be Wang’s first runway show on Paris Fashion Week’s official schedule. However, Wang is far from being a newbie. The Chinese designer already made a name for herself after years showing in Milan and London fashion week, giving us creative, ethereal and sometimes even political take on fashion.
2) Today’s outing was promising to say the least, and very regal looking. Slouchy, softly tailored, enveloping silhouettes came in highly textured fabrics like chunky knits, rich velvets and delicate embroideries – along with beautifully ruffled necks.
3) Those earthy, warm colours were eye-catching and positively sumptuous - lending the collection a rich and luxurious palette, great for evenings.
4) Silhouettes were long, svelte and lean, but let’s talk about all that velvet! It might seem like a curious combination at first but the result was luscious and very sensual.
5) Overall, Wang’s autumn-winter 2017 was an easy-to-wear collection that embodied the spirit of times: our need to wear luxurious statement looks while keeping it casual, with a certain level of street credibility – and Wang’s innovative mix-and-match of textured fabrics and easy-chic looks nailed it.