15 Minute Chef: Curry-dusted shrimp and scallops
Pick a good, balanced brand of curry powder for this dish.
For the mango and coconut salsa
2 medium-sized ripe mangoes
1 large shallot
1 red bird's eye chilli
2 kaffir lime leaves
5 grams unsweetened coconut
About 10ml fresh lime juice
For the shrimp and scallops
12-18 large, fresh shrimp (with bodies about 7cm long), heads and tails removed
12-18 large, fresh scallops (about 3cm in diameter)
15 grams curry powder
15 grams rice flour
15 grams granulated sugar
Fine sea salt
Cooking oil, for the skillet
- Peel and destone the mangoes, then cut the flesh into large cubes.
- Mince the shallot and chilli.
- Finely julienne the lime leaves.
- Toast the coconut by putting it in an unoiled skillet over a medium flame. Stir constantly until the coconut is pale golden, then transfer it to a small plate and let it cool.
- Mix the mango with the shallot, chilli, lime leaf, toasted coconut, lime juice and a little salt. Taste the seasonings and adjust, if needed.
- Mix the curry powder with the rice flour, sugar and a little salt.
- Thread one shrimp and one scallop onto small, sturdy skewers, placing the shrimp so each one is pierced through the head and tail so it's curled into a "C" shape.
- Dust both sides of the shellfish with the curry mixture and shake off the excess.
- Heat a skillet and oil it lightly. When very hot, add the seafood skewers and sear them for 30-45 seconds on each side. Arrange the skewers on serving plates. Serve the salsa on the side.