15 Minute Chef: Roast Pork With Chillies
30 grams pine nuts
2 heaped tbsp dried shrimp, soaked in 60ml warm water
300 grams slightly fatty skin-on roast pork
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
Fresh hot chillies, to taste
2 garlic cloves
20ml cooking oil
A pinch of sugar
About 10ml soy sauce
A little cornstarch dissolved in water
Iceberg lettuce leaves
- Put the pine nuts in an unoiled skillet over a medium-low flame.
- Stir constantly until they're lightly toasted, then cool.
- Drain the shrimp but reserve the soaking liquid.
- Dice the pork into 6mm pieces.
- Discard the stem and core from the bell peppers, then cut into 6mm dice.
- Discard the seeds from the chillies, then finely dice them. Halve the garlic cloves.
- Coat a wok with oil over a high flame. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add pork, bell peppers, chilli and shrimp. Stir fry for a few minutes, then add shrimp soaking liquid, sugar and soy.
- Stir together then cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer until the vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Remove the lid. If it is dry, add water; if it's too moist, increase the heat and cook, uncovered, to reduce the liquid slightly.
- Stir in a little cornstarch with water so the sauce lightly coats the ingredients.
- Adjust the seasonings, if needed, then stir in the pine nuts.
- Spoon the mixture into iceberg lettuce leaves and serve.
Susan Jung email@example.com