Athletic apparel continues to make its presence felt from the runway to the high street, but this time around there's not a tracksuit top or stripe in sight. Rubberised sandals by Prada, sporty shorts by Emilio Pucci and leather backpacks by Rochas, along with Christopher Kane's sweatshirts and visors from Marni on the catwalks point to what we'll be sporting this spring and summer. Even if you're not looking to renew your gym membership anytime soon, you can deconstruct this trend and make it yours.
Pair a statement sweatshirt with a pencil skirt for an office look that will turn heads, team short-shorts with killer heels if you've got perfect pins or, if you prefer to keep your feet on the ground, opt for sandals - the selection on offer this season will work on the beach and beyond. We love this floral take on the trend from Antwerp-based brand Essentiel (above left). Dervla Louli (email@example.com)
1. Zara platform track sole sandals (HK$559)
2. Marc by Marc Jacobs backpack (HK$1,860) available at Net-a-Porter
3. Maje x K-Way reversible leopard-print jacket (HK$2,590) available at Maje
4. T-shirt (HK$213) available at H&M
5. Claudie Pierlot theory jumper (HK$1,390) available at Rue Madame
6. Sandro shorts (HK$2,725)
The ever-evolving dandy trend gets a grittier spin this season. While it still takes its cue from classic Savile Row codes of menswear - we're talking pocket squares, bow ties and tailored suit jackets - adding some street wear will give it a modern edge.
You can mix and match suits with leather sneakers and jeans or, if you've got the looks and charisma of Lapo Elkann, you can try the beanie and suit combo.
From the boutiques to the high street, the urban dandy look is all about the mash-up of both styles and prices. Look to push the boat out for one or two key accessories such as cufflinks, ties, tie clips and pocket squares from established menswear brands like Dunhill, Canali or Ermenegildo Zegna, as those little details are the ones that get noticed.
Round out the look with edgier, and more-forgiving-on-the-wallet pieces such as jackets, trousers and shirts from the likes of Massimo Dutti, COS, H&M and Zara.
If budget's not an issue, we'd recommend the finest purveyors of the urban dandy look, Burberry. The blue shirt, green sweater, red shoes and tie in this look (right) make a sort of chaotic sense next to a classic overcoat and a street style yellow duffel bag. Abid Rahman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. COS shoulder strap document bag (HK$1,500)
2. Void V03B watch (HK$1,400)
3. Common Projects sneakers (HK$4,480) available at Kapok
4. Mulberry coin cufflinks (HK$1,800)
5. Thomas Pink elephant print pocket square (HK$700)
6. Tuxedo jacket (HK$399) available at H&M