News flesh: this summer's fashion is about showing a bit of skin
Gone are the days when bodycon and spandex were the only ways to flaunt your frame. This summer, flesh is in. A sheer panel here, a defiant keyhole there — it's all about showing a sliver of skin.
Grabbing the trend by the horns is Christian Dior, whose haute couture line touts a bag of quirky 1970s A-lines that are cut out at the side to reveal a sizeable chunk of waist.
You'll need to be a little daring to carry if off: cruise collections are staking a claim to the cut-out, with many an ab exposed in frocks by Altuzarra and between cropped sweaters and pencil skirts by Dominic Louis.
Sheer is always there at Topshop, where a stretch of shoulder and a flash of thigh adds to the look. Monochrome skater dresses with mesh panels are favourites while offshoot brand Rare exposes much leg on a pair of thinly striped flared trousers.
Alexander Wang and Victoria Beckham have slit open a range of LBDs, nipping alluring windows into bra bodices and encouraging bra-less escapades with a backless minidress. H&M has embraced Coachella, offering a collection under the same name of sheer kaftans, crochet and tasselled crops in earthy tones, just in time for the summer line-ups.
The sheers haven't spared swimwear either this year, and Asos has launched a cheery range of tropical prints with edgy cuts. For a sexier number, La Perla's one-pieces have cleavage-baring slits from collarbone to navel — peekaboo, indeed.
1. Cut-out denim playsuit by Stella McCartney (HK$5,500), available at matchesfashion.com
2. By Malene Birger Lilliani embroidered organza shirt at By Malene Birger (HK$2,640), Lee Gardens One 303, Causeway Bay, tel: 2877 3288
3. Sheer mid-riff swimsuit by H&M (HK$199) available at H&M, 30 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, tel: 3521 1171
4. Gladiator sandals by Pedder Red (HK$1,990) at On Pedder, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, tel: 2118 0130
5. Taxa Devoré-Jersey dress by Vivienne Westwood Anglomania (HK$ 3,795), available at net-a-porter.com