1. While the fashion crowd were all anticipating yet another extravagant Chanel thematic set-up, such as airports, casinos and supermarkets, Karl Lagerfeld managed to surprise again with a presentation set in a form resembling the original couture presentation. Thousands of critics and VIPs each got front row seats as Chanel arranged the gold ballroom chairs in parallel rows.
2. The collection shows classic Chanel aesthetics at their best – think perfectly tailored tweed suit, rendered also in denim and bouclé. The looks are polished and lady-like with skirt length below the knee or around the ankle.
3. Puffy jackets and tops with quilted details are aplenty in Chanel’s aw16 wardrobe.
4. Romantic lace tier dresses are matched with camellia-pinned bows and bejewelled gloves. The tiered silhouette is also rendered in organza with criss-cross leather trims at the waist, matched with leather arm warmers and cool biker boots.
5. More pearls are definitely the merrier as the collection shows. We are also in love with the boaters in a rainbow of colours and featuring a camellia pin dangling from one side. The season’s iconic bags feature the images of Lagerfeld’s cat Choupette mishmashes with camellias and interlocking Cs, and a novelty purse in the shape of a thread bobbin.