Work at North Korean launch pad stops, report says
Agence France-Presse in Seoul
New satellite imagery shows North Korea has halted work at a launch pad capable of testing intercontinental missiles, possibly setting the project back by up to two years, a US website reported.
The commercial satellite images taken on August 29 also show construction postponed on crucial fuel and oxidizer buildings designed to support future tests near the new pad, the 38 North website said.
The website, run by the US-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, said the exact cause of the work stoppage was unclear, although recent heavy rains might be a factor.
The new launch pad, being built at the Tonghae Satellite Launching Ground in the northeast of the country, had been scheduled for completion around 2015.
According to the website, it was intended to conduct future tests of larger, liquid-fuelled rockets, possibly with intercontinental ranges.