Man held for planning attack on royal couple
Police arrested a man on suspicion of planning an assault before Britain’s Prince Charles and his wife Camilla met crowds in central Auckland in New Zealand, reports said on Monday.
The man, in his 70s, was “nowhere near” the royal couple when he was detained but would appear in Auckland District Court on Tuesday, Fairfax Media said, quoting a police spokeswoman.
“A 74-year-old was arrested for preparing to commit an assault before the arrival of the royal couple,” the officer told Fairfax.
TVNZ quoted sources saying the man allegedly “planned an attack on the royals”.
He had been spotted on CCTV carrying an unidentified item, the state broadcaster added, and said he was an anti-royalist protester.
Charles and Camilla, who are on the last leg of a tour to mark Queen Elizabeth’s diamond jubilee, were greeted by hundreds of people on Auckland’s waterfront on Monday in a visit that passed without incident.
Their tour of New Zealand continues until Friday.