• Thu
  • Aug 28, 2014
  • Updated: 6:10am
NewsAsia
PHILIPPINES

Six dead as floods hit Philippines disaster zone

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 23 January, 2013, 6:19pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 23 January, 2013, 6:19pm

Six people have died and four others are missing in floods that swept through a southern Philippine region still reeling from a deadly typhoon disaster, authorities said on Wednesday.

Days of heavy rains on Mindanao island left the major city of Davao and nine nearby towns flooded, including areas that were devastated by Typhoon Bopha in early December, the civil defence office said.

Six people, including a year-old boy, had been confirmed killed between Monday and Wednesday, while four others were missing, it said in its latest tally.

About 125,000 people, half of them from Davao city, fled their inundated homes for state-run evacuation centres or friends’ houses, it added.

It said the total included more than 17,000 people from New Bataan and Cateel, two of the towns worst hit in last month’s typhoon disaster that left nearly 2,000 people dead or missing.

Authorities said the rain eased on Wednesday but large areas remained flooded.

The Philippines is hit by about 20 major storms or typhoons each year that occur mainly during the rainy season between June and October, though floods frequently also occur outside the cyclone season.

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or