Hundreds protest over 'rape' of girl, 7, at school in India

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 02 March, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 02 March, 2013, 4:48am


Hundreds of protesters clashed with police yesterday outside a New Delhi hospital where a girl aged seven who was allegedly raped at school was admitted.

Youths hurled stones at buses and police, who then used batons to break up the demonstration in a low-income neighbourhood.

"The protesters were angry over the assault on the little girl and were demanding that police act against the culprit," a police press official said.

The protesters were angry over the assault on the little girl and were demanding that police act against the culprit

The official confirmed the girl was a second-grader and the attack took place at school.

After police were called, the child was taken to hospital and later discharged. "The crowds have dispersed and the situation is normal," the official said.

Police are investigating the case, he added, declining to comment on local media reports that three men - two teachers and a security guard - have been detained for questioning.

Delhi chief minister Sheila Dikshit said of the attack: "Rape inside a school is a shocking incident. It is shameful that it happened."

India has seen a surge in anti-rape demonstrations in recent weeks.

Thousands took to the streets to protest against police inaction after the fatal gang-rape of a 23-year-old student on a bus in Delhi in December.

Last month, villagers in the western state of Maharashtra staged protests after police failed to make headway in a case in which three sisters between six and 11 were raped, killed and dumped in a well.

India's home minister Sushilkumar Shinde said in an address to parliament yesterday that a probe would be carried out into the deaths of the three children.

He said he was "deeply shocked at the despicable, ghastly and brutal" incident. No arrests have yet been made in connection with that case.

Family members said the girls went missing in the middle of last month after going out to look for their mother.

They were found in the well two days after they disappeared.