More S Koreans leave N Korean factory park under ban | South China Morning Post
  • Tue
  • Mar 31, 2015
  • Updated: 7:51pm
North Korea
NewsAsia

More S Koreans leave N Korean factory park under ban

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 06 April, 2013, 11:33am
UPDATED : Saturday, 06 April, 2013, 11:33am
 

More South Koreans have begun to leave North Korea and the factory park where they work, four days after Pyongyang closed the border to people and goods.

Seoul’s Unification Ministry says seven South Koreans left the Kaesong industrial park Saturday morning, and about 100 of the roughly 600 still there were expected to return home by day’s end.

One manager interviewed as he left says North Korea has bolstered security along the border.

The industrial park is the last remnant of North-South cooperation. Pyongyang’s blocking of traffic there is among many provocative moves it has made recently in anger over U.N. sanctions for its Feb. 12 nuclear test and current U.S.-South Korean military drills. North Korea suggested earlier this week that diplomats in Pyongyang leave for their own safety.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or