INDONESIA

Suicide bomber attacks Indonesia police station

PUBLISHED : Monday, 03 June, 2013, 1:04pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 29 August, 2013, 4:13am
AP

Share

An unidentified motorcycle driver carried out an apparent suicide bombing at a police headquarters in central Indonesia, police said on Monday.

Police chief Lieutenant Colonel Sisnadi said the man was trying to enter the station early in the day in the central Sulawesi town of Poso when his bomb went off, killing him instantly.

A nearby construction worker was hurt but no police were killed.

“He resisted when station guards stopped him in the entrance post,” said Sisnadi, who like many Indonesians, uses a single name. “But about 15 metres from the post the bomb he was carrying went off near the mosque.”

The case is still under investigation, Sisnadi said.

Poso has a history of violence. A Muslim-Christian conflict there killed at least 1,000 people from 1998 to 2002.

Indonesia, the world’s most populous Muslim nation, has seen a series of terrorist attacks since the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, mostly foreign tourists.

In recent years, smaller and less deadly strikes have targeted the government, mainly police and anti-terrorism forces and local residents instead of tourists.

In April 2011, a suicide bomber blew himself up during Friday prayers at a police complex in the West Java town of Cirebon, wounding 28 people in the first attack on a mosque in the country.

Last month, Indonesia’s elite anti-terrorism squad arrested two suspected militants, including a would-be suicide bomber, in connection with a plot to bomb the Myanmar embassy.

 

Promotions