• Sat
  • Jul 12, 2014
  • Updated: 2:44am
NewsAsia
KOREAN PENINSULA

North Korea blames South's 'arrogance' for talks failure

PUBLISHED : Friday, 14 June, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 14 June, 2013, 2:10am

North Korea yesterday blamed South Korean arrogance and deceit for the collapse of this week's planned talks and warned that prospects for any future dialogue had been severely damaged.

The two Koreas had initially agreed to hold their first high-level talks in six years in Seoul on Wednesday and yesterday but they were called off at the last minute following a dispute over protocol.

The talks had been seen as a step forward after months of soaring military tensions, but its collapse has instead resulted in a sizeable backwards stride.

Even the one positive development - the restoration of an inter-government hotline - seemed in doubt, with the North refusing to answer calls from the South since Wednesday morning.

"The South side had no intent to hold dialogue from the beginning," said a spokesman for the North's Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, the state body that handles inter-Korean issues. "It only sought to create an obstacle to the talks, delay and then torpedo them," he said, accusing the South of "arrogant obstructions and deliberate disturbance".

"This impolite and immoral provocative behaviour made us think once again whether it will be possible to properly discuss matters or improve relations even if official talks are opened in the future."

The agreement to meet in Seoul had looked vulnerable from the outset - requiring 17 hours of talks on Sunday that ended with no real consensus on the agenda and other issues.

The final nail in the coffin was a dispute over who would represent each side, with the North arguing that the South's nomination of a vice-minister as its chief delegate was an insult.

When Seoul refused to upgrade to a cabinet minister, the North cancelled its delegation. South Korea insisted its vice-minister was commensurate in rank to the North's chief delegate and said Pyongyang had to accept diplomatic norms.

The South's Unification Minister, Ryoo Kihl-jae, suggested the whole protocol rift was an inevitable "growing pain" as the new administration of President Park Geun-hye seeks to define a new relationship with Pyongyang.

Park, who took office in February, has pushed a "trust-building" policy with the North, which offers engagement but no concessions without reciprocity.

The talks in Seoul were to have focused on re-opening two suspended commercial projects -- the Kaesong joint industrial zone and South Korea tours to the North's Mount Kumgang resort.

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or