Fukushima nuclear disaster

New leak adds to problems at Japan's Fukushima nuclear power plant

Latest incidentis a 'large problem' in a string of avoidable accidents at stricken nuclear plant that is struggling to contain damage

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 09 October, 2013, 3:40pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 11 June, 2015, 3:58pm

Six workers at Japan's crippled Fukushima nuclear plant were exposed to a leak of highly radioactive water yesterday, the latest in a string of mishaps the country's nuclear watchdog has attributed to carelessness, saying they could have been avoided.

Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) has been battling to contain radioactive water at the plant, which suffered triple meltdowns and hydrogen explosions following a devastating earthquake and tsunami in March 2011.

In the latest incident, a worker mistakenly detached a pipe connected to a treatment system to remove salt from the hundreds of tonnes of water Tepco pumps over the melted fuel in wrecked reactors to keep them cool.

"It is serious in that it was another problem caused by carelessness, but I do not believe it is a seriously troubling dosage," Shunichi Tanaka, chairman of Japan's Nuclear Regulation Authority, said.

"But the fact that there has been a string of incidents occurring on a daily basis that could have been avoided - I think that is the large problem."

Tanaka urged Tepco to improve its handling of contaminated water, but stopped short of saying if it faced any penalties.

The accidents are adding to a crisis no one seems to know how to contain, and stirring doubts over Tepco's ability to carry out a complex clean-up widely expected to take decades.

Just last week, the regulator ordered Tepco to draft in additional workers and report within a week on its measures to tackle the hazardous clean-up.

Tepco said seven tonnes of water were spilled in yesterday's incident at the treatment facility but were contained within the site, adding that the leaked water had an all-beta radiation level of 34 million becquerels per litre.

Tanaka said the leaked water had been treated to remove cesium, which emits gamma radiation harmful to humans.

On Monday, Tepco said a plant worker accidentally halted power to pumps used to cool the damaged reactors. A back-up system kicked in immediately, but the event was another reminder of the precarious situation at the plant.

Last week, Tepco said 430 litres of contaminated water had spilled out of a storage tank at Fukushima and probably flowed into the ocean.

Japan's nuclear regulator said that incident was equivalent to "Level 0" on the International Nuclear and Radiological Events Scale (INES), but gave no official rating.

In August, a leak of 300 tonnes of highly radioactive water from a hastily built site tank was given a "Level 3" or "serious incident" rating on the INES scale, prompting Beijing to express "shock" the nuclear plant was still leaking radioactive water.

China's Foreign Ministry at the time urged Japan to take "practical and effective measures" to mitigate the impact.

Tepco is trying to restart its only remaining viable plant - Kashiwazaki Kariwa, the world's largest nuclear power station - to cut high fuel costs and restore its finances.



Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

More on this story

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive