Indian firm in consortium to upgrade Cebu's airport | South China Morning Post
  • Mon
  • Mar 2, 2015
  • Updated: 3:45pm
NewsAsia
PHILIPPINES

Indian firm in consortium to upgrade Cebu's airport

PUBLISHED : Monday, 07 April, 2014, 4:43am
UPDATED : Monday, 07 April, 2014, 4:43am

A consortium that includes India's GMR Group has won a 17.52 billion peso (HK$3 billion) contract to upgrade the passenger terminal of the Philippines' second airport, the Philippine government said.

The GMR-Megawide consortium has been awarded a 25-year concession to Mactan-Cebu International Airport that serves the country's second-largest metropolis after Manila, the Transportation and Communications Department said.

"This project should have been done at least a decade ago, so there is no more time to waste," the department's spokesman, Michael Arthur Sagcal, said.

Over the next three to four years, GMR and its local partner will renovate Mactan's passenger terminal, build a separate one for international flights, and then operate the improved facility with an expected annual turnover of eight million passengers.

The existing terminal was built to handle 4.5 million passengers a year, but annual traffic topped six million in 2011, well past its capacity, the department said.

The central city of Cebu is the country's main tourism hub.

Under the contract terms, the new facility reverts to government ownership and control after 25 years.

GMR Group, an infrastructure company based in Bangalore, has interests in airports, energy and highways.

The tender was held last year but the contract award was delayed as the government said it was investigating allegations by one of the six other bidders over GMR-Megawide's financial capability.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or