Elite Jakarta nursery ordered closed over sex assault claim | South China Morning Post
  • Mon
  • Mar 30, 2015
  • Updated: 6:37am
NewsAsia
INDONESIA

Elite Jakarta nursery ordered closed over sex assault claim

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 22 April, 2014, 11:21pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 22 April, 2014, 11:21pm

Indonesia has ordered the nursery of a prestigious Jakarta international school to close after an alleged sexual assault on a six-year-old boy by cleaning staff.

The case has sparked widespread public anger and focused attention on the high incidence of child abuse at educational institutions across the country.

Police said the youngster was allegedly assaulted twice in recent months in the toilets of the nursery at the Jakarta International School, where many of the city's expatriate community send their children.

Two contract cleaners have been arrested and named as suspects.

Education official Lydia Freyani Hawadi said authorities had ordered the nursery close. She said the official grounds were that it did not have a proper licence to operate, but added that the alleged assault also "called for a thorough investigation".

The case has prompted calls for greater protection of youngsters at schools and President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono has offered the victims support.

About 3,000 cases of sexual abuse of minors were reported to the national commission for child protection last year, 30 per cent in schools.

An online petition calling for harsh punishment for paedophiles has received about 50,000 signatures in the past week.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or