Philippines files fourth protest over China reef ‘reclamation’ in disputed territory
Manila files fourth protest in three months over alleged land reclamation by Beijing in the disputed Spratly Islands territory of the South China Sea
The Philippines said on Saturday it had filed a protest with Beijing over its alleged reclaiming of land on a disputed South China Sea reef, the fourth such complaint in three months.
The new protest over reclamation at the McKeenan Reef in the Spratly Islands chain further heats up an increasingly tense dispute over the waters where China has been accused of using bullying tactics against other claimants.
Foreign department spokesman Charles Jose said in Manila the protest was filed last week. “They are doing reclamation work,” he said in a brief statement.
He did not say if China had responded.
The Philippines previously filed an objection against China in April after monitoring large-scale reclamation and earth-moving activity on Johnson South Reef, in which it said Beijing might be intending to turn the tiny outcrop into an island with an airstrip.
It later announced a similar challenge over China’s reclamation at Gaven and Cuateron Reef. China has previously brushed aside such protests, saying the outcrops are part of its territory.
All four reefs were already occupied by Chinese forces but are also claimed by the Philippines.
China claims the Spratly Islands along with nearly all of the South China Sea, which contains vital sea routes and is also believed to hold large mineral resources, as its own territory.
The Philippines, along with Vietnam, Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan have conflicting claims to parts or all of the same area, which has led to tense confrontations in recent years.
In recent weeks, China and Vietnam have traded accusations alleging ships had rammed each other after China set up an oil rig in a South China Sea area also claimed by Vietnam.
The Philippines asked a United Nations tribunal in March to declare China’s claim to most of the South China Sea illegal.
China has refused to take part in the proceedings.