• Thu
  • Aug 21, 2014
  • Updated: 12:30am
Malaysia Airlines flight 370
NewsAsia
Flight MH370

Malaysia to send more equipment for flight MH370 search in Indian Ocean

PUBLISHED : Monday, 07 July, 2014, 4:24am
UPDATED : Monday, 07 July, 2014, 4:27am

Malaysia will send more equipment to the southern Indian Ocean to join the search for flight MH370 which went missing four months ago.

Defence Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said yesterday that a Malaysian navy ship equipped with a multi-beam echo sounder - a device to map the ocean floor - would set sail on August 4 for the deep-sea search zone far off western Australia.

State energy firm Petronas, together with Deftech and Phoenix International, would deploy a towed device called a synthetic aperture sonar to scan the ocean floor, he said.

Shipbuilder Boustead Heavy Industries, together with iXBlue Australia, would send a deep towed side scan sonar with a remotely operated vehicle.

Instructions for immediate mobilisation [of the equipment] have been given
Hishammuddin Hussein

"Instructions for immediate mobilisation have been given and the assets are expected to reach the search area in mid- August," Hishammuddin said.

Another Malaysian vessel which was deployed in April would stay in the search area,.

The Malaysia Airlines flight lost contact on March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people aboard. It is believed to have veered off course and - based on satellite data analysis - crashed in the southern Indian Ocean, but an extensive Australian-led search has so far found no sign of wreckage.

Australian officials announced last month that the search would shift further south based on a review of the satellite data. They also said the Boeing 777 was almost certainly on autopilot when it ran out of fuel and crashed.

The most likely scenario, the officials said, was that the pilots and crew suffered from hypoxia, or lack of oxygen, and became "unresponsive", which can occur when a plane loses air pressure at high altitude.

The underwater search will start in the new area, covering up to 60,000 square kilometres in the southern Indian Ocean, next month and take up to a year.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

2

This article is now closed to comments

53bb5f3a-8ba0-4577-890a-74330a320969
I would like to see the topography of the ocean floor, etc. while they are searching for the aircraft. Let’s get working on this search for flight 370 now; and stop milking this… the families are waiting.
Simon Gunson
There is evidence suggesting an electrical failure. MH370's ACARS attempted a log-on at 18:25 UTC and ATSB interpret the available data as an indication of power interruption, but there are also other clues.Flightaware website harvests ADS-B data and stores it for every flight. Flightaware recorded MH370's ADS-C showed altitude increasing to 38,000ft prior to IGARi yet on 24 June Angus Houston admitted it was not seen on radar climbing to 45,000ft. This suggests the transponder was transmitting in Mode-C giving barometric altitude readings, not transmitting in Mode-S. The only logical explanation why the transponder would change mode is an electrical fault. Flight aware also recorded an extra series of transponder signals between 19:47-19:51 UTC. These could only have been triggered in Mode-C in response to the aircraft being painted by civilian primary radar. The possible shift of transponder modes is a clear indication of electrical malfunctions. If these started a fire in the cockpit then such a fire could lead to depressurisation and then once deprived of oxygen any fire would have snuffed out.
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or