North Korea

North Korea’s ICBM tests fuel worries of ‘game changing’ threat

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 30 July, 2014, 10:10pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 30 July, 2014, 10:11pm

Fresh satellite images suggest North Korea might be wrapping up engine trials on an intercontinental ballistic missile, fuelling speculation of a full-scale flight test to come, a US think tank said yesterday.

Development of a working ICBM would be a game-changing step, bringing the continental US into range and adding a whole new threat level to North Korea's regular nuclear-strike warnings.

"The rocket engine test programme may wind down by the end of this year," the US-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University said on its closely followed 38 North website. "If the engine tests are concluded, the next stage in development of the KN-08 road-mobile ICBM may be full-scale flight tests of the missile."

It stressed, however, that it was unclear just how successful the tests had been.

Regular satellite analysis has shown a major construction programme under way at North Korea's Sohae satellite launching station since mid-2013, focused on upgrading facilities to handle larger, longer-range rockets with heavier payloads.

Although there is no doubt that North Korea has an extremely active ballistic missile development programme, expert opinion is split on just how much progress it has made.

Images taken this month showed the gantry height on the main launch pad had increased to more than 50 metres, while a wider access road and rail spur capable of transporting larger rockets to the pad were either finished or nearing completion.

"These modifications could be completed by 2015," the 38 North website said.

The images also showed evidence of new engine tests, including the presence of first-stage rocket motors and distressed vegetation.

The KN-08 was first unveiled at a military parade in April 2012, but many analysts dismissed the models on show as mock-ups.