US forces to gain access to more Philippine bases in addition to five already announced
US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter said an agreement last month provides for more sites in the future

US forces will gain access to more military bases in the Philippines than the five already announced, US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter said on Wednesday as he began a visit to the long-standing Asian ally.
Manila announced this year it would allow US forces to use five of its installations, including an air base close to the South China Sea.
The agreement that went in force in January aims to strengthen the Philippines’ defensive capabilities amid a tense maritime dispute with China, while helping the Pentagon pivot more of its forces toward Asia.
“They will be more, these are just the five initial sites for rotational presence” of US troops, Carter told reporters on his flight to the Philippine capital from India.
“The agreement provides for more sites in the future,” he said.