Missile tensions: US open to talks as North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un waits next move by ‘stupid Yankees’
North Korea has said its military presented leader Kim Jong-un with plans to launch missiles into waters near Guam. But its comments appeared to signal a path to defuse the crisis by saying Kim would watch US conduct before giving his orders
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Tuesday, after North Korea’s Kim Jong-un postponed a threat to fire missiles towards the US territory of Guam, that Washington remains ready for talks.
But the top US diplomat said it would be up to Kim when such negotiations would begin, having previously insisted Pyongyang must demonstrate that it accepts it will have to give up its nuclear programme.
“I have no response to his decisions at all at this time,” Tillerson said, when asked about Kim’s decision to hold off.
“We continue to be interested in finding ways to get to dialogue, but that’s up to him.”
Speaking after the launch of a religious freedom report, Tillerson would not go into more detail as to how North Korea could demonstrate a commitment to the denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula.