image

Ban Ki-moon

US asks South Korea to arrest brother of former UN chief Ban Ki-moon over bribery claims

Ban, the former UN chief who is ranked second in opinion polls among potential candidates for South Korean president, has said he was embarrassed that family members had been implicated

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 21 January, 2017, 3:11pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 21 January, 2017, 10:35pm

The US government has asked South Korea to arrest a brother of former UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon on charges that he engaged in a bribery scheme to carry out the sale of a Vietnamese building complex, a US prosecutor said on Friday.

During a court hearing in federal court in Manhattan, Assistant US Attorney Daniel Noble said that a request had been made for the arrest of Ban Ki-sang, who was an executive at South Korean construction firm Keangnam Enterprises.

Noble said the United States plans to seek his extradition, “but as of yet, he has not been apprehended”. South Korea’s Justice Ministry is discussing with the US government on the request to arrest Ban but “it is not yet a formal consultation” Yonhap news agency quoted an unnamed source in the country’s judiciary as saying.

Officials at the Justice Ministry could not be reached for comment. An official at the foreign affairs section of the national police said the agency has yet to receive a formal request to arrest Ban and declined to give further details. Ban Ki-sang could not be reached for comment. An official at Keangnam said Ban had left the company in March 2015 and it was not aware of his whereabouts.

Ban Ki-sang was one of four people charged on January 10 in a case that has complicated his brother’s expected run for president of South Korea following his recently finished term at the United Nations.

The case has already resulted in the arrest of another of the former UN chief’s relatives, Joo Hyun “Dennis” Bahn, a real estate broker living in New Jersey who is Ban Ki-moon’s nephew and Ban Ki-sang’s son.

Ban, the former UN chief who is ranked second in opinion polls among potential candidates for South Korean president, has said he was embarrassed that family members had been named in the case but said he had “absolutely no knowledge”. Ban has yet to formally declare his candidacy.

According to an indictment, amid a liquidity crisis at Keangnam, Ban Ki-sang, 69, arranged for it to hire his son to broker a refinancing on the Landmark 72 building complex in Hanoi, which cost over US$1 billion to construct.

South Korea’s deepening scandal could hamper Ban Ki-moon’s 2017 presidential ambitions

The indictment said that in March 2013, Bahn through an acquaintance met Malcolm Harris, a self-described arts and fashion consultant and blogger who has also been charged in the case.

Prosecutors said Harris told Bahn he could help get a deal via his connections, which he said included members of a Middle Eastern royal family, and offered to arrange the Landmark 72’s sale to a sovereign wealth fund by bribing an official.

In April 2014, Bahn and Ban Ki-sang agreed to pay an upfront US$500,000 bribe and another US$2 million upon the sale’s closing to the official, prosecutors said.

UN chief Ban Ki-moon addresses speculation he’ll run for president of South Korea

But prosecutors said Harris did not have any connection to the official, and after the men sent US$500,000 to his company, Muse Creative Consulting, to pay bribes as a middle man, he stole the funds. He spent the money on airfare, hotels, lavish meals, furniture, rent for a Manhattan apartment and a six-month lease for a penthouse in the fashionable Brooklyn neighbourhood of Williamsburg, the indictment said. Both Bahn, 38, and Harris, 52, have pleaded not guilty.