Philippines’ Duterte says son will be killed if involved in drugs after explosive claims he’s linked to Chinese triad
President: ‘If I have children who are into drugs, kill them so people will not have anything to say’
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has said he would have his son killed if drug trafficking allegations against the younger politician were true, and that the police who carried out the hit would be protected from prosecution.
President Duterte did not refer to the allegations specifically but reiterated his statement from last year’s election campaign that none of his children were involved in drugs, but they would face the harshest punishment if they were.
“I said before my order was: ‘If I have children who are into drugs, kill them so people will not have anything to say’,” Duterte said in a speech on Wednesday night before government workers at the presidential palace in Manila.
“So I told Pulong (Paolo’s nickname): ‘My order is to kill you if you are caught. And I will protect the police who kill you, if it is true’,” he said.
Duterte, 72, won the presidential elections on a brutal law-and-order platform in which he promised an unprecedented campaign to eradicate illegal drugs in society by killing up to 100,000 traffickers and addicts.