• Fri
  • Sep 19, 2014
  • Updated: 9:09am
NewsChina Insider
CYBERATTACK

Macau authorities thwart another cyberattack but won't reveal origin

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 08 October, 2013, 8:55am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 08 October, 2013, 4:23pm

Macau authorities thwarted a cyberattack on Sunday which would have brought down the area's internet access, the gambling hub’s sole internet provider has said in a statement.

“The company’s firewall successfully blocked out a large amount of suspected traffic to ensure continued operation of internet services,” the Companhia de Telecomunicações de Macau (CTM) said in a statement on Monday.

The company’s firewall successfully blocked out a large amount of suspected traffic to ensure continued operation of internet services

CTM said it stopped the attack at 12.30am on Monday. The company said it identified the IP addresses involved in the attack, but declined to reveal their origin in a statement to the South China Morning Post.  

The attack comes less than a month after the company said it “has been taking measures to safeguard the security and integrity of the network from cyberattack and intrusions”.

This is not the first time hackers have exposed vulnerabilities in the territories communications infrastructure.

In July, Chief Executive Fernando Chui Sai-on said he was “highly concerned” over the hacking of government email accounts in July. CTM said 34 of its accounts had been exposed by computers traced to Hong Kong and the US.

Last September, the company said it experienced a first cyberattack with the potential to cripple the territory’s internet.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or