• Thu
  • Jul 10, 2014
  • Updated: 1:39pm

Tiananmen Square terror attack

Five people were killed and 38 injured when an SUV rammed through barricades in front of Tiananmen Square’s gate tower in Beijing and burst into flames on October 28, 2013. Amid tight censorship of social media and terse news reports, police launched a manhunt for eight people, mostly members of the Uygur ethnic community living in the restive Western region of Xinjiang. Within ten hours, police detained five members of the Uygur ethnic minority. Two days later, authorities declared the incident a “terrorist attack” prompting concern among Uygur exile groups over a backlash against the ethnic group.

NewsChina Insider
CRASH

Mother of Tiananmen terror attack’s Philippine victim still in the dark

Dr Rizalina Bunyi, 55, was killed in terror attack

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 31 October, 2013, 3:01pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 31 October, 2013, 4:23pm
 

The mother of the Philippine tourist who died in the terror attack at Beijing’s Tiananmen Square on Monday has yet to be told that her daughter has died.

Dr Rizalina Bunyi, 55, along with a man from Guangdong province, was killed when a light-coloured SUV ploughed through pedestrians and police on China’s most prominent square, before bursting into flames. The three occupants of the car were also killed in what state media have since called a terrorist attack.

The Philippine Daily Inquirer, the country’s most popular newspaper, reported on Thursday that Bunyi’s family has kept the news of her death from her 83-year-old mother so far. The family did not know when to tell her, the report said, as she was waiting for her daughter to follow up on her promise to have her television set repaired.

Bunyi worked as a medical practitioner on the outskirts of the capital Manila. An employee of the Our Lady of the Pillar Medical Centre in Imus said they were aware of her passing and declined to provide further information.

Her husband Nelson Bunyi and daughters Francisca Ysabel, 23, and Mikaella, 21, are among the 38 wounded in the attack. They are being treated in the Tongren Hospital in Beijing’s Dongcheng district.

Their trip to Beijing was scheduled to end on Thursday. The couple had travelled to the Chinese capital to reward their daughters, both medical students, on their accomplishments in school, Bunyi’s father Rodrigo Camia told Philippine press.\

The Philippine Embassy in Beijing could not be reached for comment.

Video: Scenes from the Tiananmen Square car crash

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

3

This article is now closed to comments

carmeledwin
Maybe the same price as the death of a Filipino soldier? After all that is what their City Councillor was suggesting. Besides she is a Filipina, right?
Relji Joseph
so now china will pay compensation to the Philippines victim and apologise for security lapse ?
robaston
Don't be silly, that would be consistency from China that doesn't happen.
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or