• Mon
  • Sep 22, 2014
  • Updated: 12:08am
NewsChina Insider
DIPLOMACY

Suspect arrested over arson attack on China's San Francisco consulate

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 04 January, 2014, 2:13pm
UPDATED : Sunday, 05 January, 2014, 10:07am

A suspect accused of being responsible for the arson attack against the Chinese Consulate in San Francisco on New Year's Day has been arrested, according to the China Press, a Chinese-language daily newspaper in the US.

The paper quoted Yuan Nansheng, China's Counsul General in San Fransisco, who revealed the latest development to a group of reporters on Friday evening. Yuan said the consulate had been told of the arrest by the Bureau of Diplomatic Security, the security and law enforcement arm of the US Department of State.

The identity of the suspect was not disclosed.

The attack happened in the evening on New Year's Day when a man jumped out of a minivan parked outside the consulate and poured two buckets of petrol on the front doors before setting them on fire.

The FBI said later the attack was arson and unlikely to have been an act of terrorism.

Read more China Insider stories by Amy Li or follow her on Twitter

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or