Some 233 Chinese have died abroad in 491 incidents reported in the Chinese press last year ranging from car accidents to robberies, according to an analysis by the Legal Evening News, a newspaper in Beijing.
One in three of these incidents occurred in North America, the paper said, making it the most dangerous place for Chinese. The newspaper did not specify whether it only looked at reports on Chinese citizens or also included local ethnic Chinese.
Last Thursday, the shooting of a Chinese immigrant family of four in Houston left police wondering on the possible motives behind the crime. Other incidents, such as the slaying of a 20-year-old college student from northeastern India in New Delhi for looking Chinese have led to concern in China that the nation’s increasing numbers of tourists and emigrants are being targeted by thugs abroad.
Some 60 per cent of reported incidents involved some form of violence, the report said. Car accidents remain the single highest reason for casualties, resulting in 80 deaths in 52 reported accidents. In 24 of these accidents, the victims were crossing a street.
While the number of incidents is more than two times higher in North America compared to Asia, the latter accounted for most deaths last year. Last year, 92 were reported, according to the Beijing paper, followed by 23 in Europe and 20 in Oceania. Only 16 deaths were reported in Africa, 65 per cent of which occurred in South Africa.
The number of mainlanders travelling abroad is expected to double from 100 million last year to 200 in 2020, according to a report by the Hong Kong-based brokerage CLSA released in January, while spending will triple.
Two in three of the 1,000 Chinese travellers surveyed said they were interested in travelling overseas, CLSA said.
China has signed visa-waiver or visa-on-arrival agreements with 45 countries and territories, Huang Ping, the head of the consular department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a press conference in January.