• Sat
  • Apr 19, 2014
  • Updated: 11:56am
Column
PUBLISHED : Saturday, 03 November, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 03 November, 2012, 8:37am

Few lessons learned from Shanghai blaze disaster

Two years on from inferno that claimed at least 58 lives, victims and their families still seek answers while fire safety seems a low priority

BIO

Alice Yan works in the South China Morning Post Shanghai bureau as a medical reporter and also covers social news in Shanghai and other Yangtze River Delta regions. She joined the Post in April of 2010 and before that she worked in the marketing department of KPMG Shanghai office for two years. She started her journalism career in the Post’s Beijing bureau in 2003 as a translator and news assistant. Yan has a bachelor’s degree in economics.
 

Almost two years have passed since Shanghai's worst fire in six decades. The inferno claimed at least 58 lives, but authorities do not seem to have learned any lessons from the disaster.

Little has changed for residents of the city when it comes to fire safety. Most have never taken part in fire drills and few know much about prevention or how to escape the flames.

Meanwhile, only 40 of the 170 families who lived in the high-rise building engulfed by the blaze have signed compensation agreements with the municipal government and the authorities have refused to publish the full fire investigation report.

The 28-storey apartment building in the city's Jingan district caught fire after welders accidentally ignited flammable insulation material being retrofitted to the tower's exterior.

The authorities say the fire, which lasted about five hours, left 58 people dead and 71 injured, but there is widespread suspicion that the real toll was higher.

The fire remains a scar on Shanghai's self-proclaimed image as the mainland's most advanced and sophisticated metropolis.

Sparked by shoddy practices by unlicensed workers hired by unlicensed construction companies, the tragedy is closely linked to corruption, like many catastrophes on the mainland.

A Shanghai court has jailed 25 people linked to the disaster, including nine officials from the district's Construction and Transport Committee. Another 28 officials, including a vice-mayor, have been disciplined, Xinhua reported.

But victims and their families say the authorities' response has been inadequate. They have tried to take the municipal government, its Construction and Transport Committee and even the State Council to court, demanding that they release all the details about the fire. So far, however, only the conclusion of the investigation report has been released.

Fu Shengyan, whose mother-in-law and sister-in-law died in the fire, said the lawsuits had either been lost or not accepted by the courts. He said that's what victims' families had expected because they knew there was no independent judiciary.

"But we still go through the judicial processes, hoping the government, under pressure, can reveal a few more details, even though not the whole report," Fu said. "The truth should be shown to the public. Only in this way can similar tragedies be avoided."

Ningbo lawyer Yuan Yulai said they sued the State Council, which spearheaded the investigation, in the Beijing Higher People's Court in February, calling on it to release the whole fire investigation report, but had not received any response from the court. Yuan said they lodged another lawsuit with the Supreme People's Court in September.

Their next target will be Shanghai's municipal Firefighting Bureau, because residents blamed the high casualty toll on the slow response of firefighters.

Fu said they had not been given the chance to meet the district's new director, Zhou Ping , who took office at the beginning of this year, despite several visits to the district government's office by victims and their families.

In a letter posted online, setting out their demands for a meeting, Fu wrote: "A lot of residents, including elderly people, are still living in small hotels designated by the government and they have numerous difficulties in their daily lives."

He said residents could not accept the fact that the district's former director had been appointed deputy Communist Party boss in Xinjiang's Kashgar prefecture, within a year of the disaster, or that his former deputy had been made vice-president of a powerful government-backed property developer in Shanghai.

Han Xin, a firefighting expert from the Shanghai Institute of Disaster Prevention and Relief, said the municipal government has been installing fire alarms and extinguishers in old residential buildings in the wake of the inferno, but had done little to promote fire-safety awareness.

And it had yet to solve the shortage of fire hydrants or tackle the urban obstacles that delayed firefighters' response to the blaze.

There is unlikely to be any official recognition of the fire's second anniversary, which falls on November 15.

Share

Related topics

2

This article is now closed to comments

shouken
Accidents cannot be fully avoided, even if all precautions are taken. It just took a few seconds for a 40+ year old good driver to kill 5 people at the Luohu checkpoint. The main culprit is of course the careless welder. But of course all those implicated , a few dozen people high and low, have been punished. I just hope my university president will not have to resign or go to jail if one of us 2500 faculty and staff went berserk and rape a student. What is the point of a full-report? We want more pain!
yuuzan
Sadly, the lives of Shanghai citizens do not appear all that important to the Shanghainese leadership.

Login

SCMP.com Account

or