BRIEFS

Briefs, December 21, 2012

PUBLISHED : Friday, 21 December, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 21 December, 2012, 4:34am

Chen sentenced to another 10 years' jail

Taiwan's ex-president Chen Shui-bian - already serving an 18-1/2-year prison term for corruption and money-laundering - was yesterday convicted and sentenced to another 10 years for taking bribes from a local financial group, the island's Supreme Court said. Under Taiwanese law, an individual may serve a maximum of 20 years in jail unless a life sentence is imposed, but prosecutor Chen Hung-ta said the conviction would allow Taipei to seek the return of US$13 million deposited by the Chen family in a Swiss bank. AFP

 

Chicken farms closed after television exposé

Food-safety authorities have closed for tests two chicken farms in Shandong, including one that supplied KFC and McDonald's, after a report by state television that some suppliers in the province were using chemical-laced feed to accelerate growth, the official Shanghai Daily said. The Shanghai Food and Drug Administration was also conducting tests on poultry supplied to a Yum Brands logistics centre. Reuters

 

Mentally ill man stabs to death four relatives

A mentally ill man has stabbed four members of his family to death in Henan, police said. The man is believed to have attacked his father, son, wife and nephew on Wednesday morning at their home in Guangyang, Fangcheng county. The local government had launched an investigation. Xinhua

 

Shanghai appoints new deputy party secretary

Shanhai Executive Vice-Mayor Yang Xiong has been promoted to become the city's deputy party secretary, China News Service reports. Yang, 59, has been vice-mayor for the past decade and previously served two years as deputy secretary general of the municipal government. Zhuang Pinghui

 

Insensitive warning removed after outcry

The Bijie government apologised after authorities in Qixingguan district posted a warning reading "No humans or animals allowed. Violators will pay the consequences" on a rubbish bin where five children died last month, China National Radio reports. The boys, aged nine to 13, died of carbon monoxide poisoning after lighting a fire in the bin. A photo of the warning caused an uproar online, drawing more than three million comments. The city said the warning had been removed from 12 bins. Zhuang Pinghui