• Mon
  • Jul 14, 2014
  • Updated: 8:54pm
NewsChina
BRIEFS

Briefs, February 18, 2013

PUBLISHED : Monday, 18 February, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 18 February, 2013, 4:57am

Graft-buster's death fall ruled a suicide

The top official overseeing anti-corruption efforts in Chongzhou, Sichuan, killed himself yesterday morning by jumping from his office in the headquarters of the city's prosecution department, an official from the prosecutors' office told the South China Morning Post. The online version of the People's Daily quoted an unidentified source as saying Ke Jianguo had been suffering from depression, and that a preliminary investigation by police showed no sign of foul play. It was unclear how far Ke fell. When asked by the Post whether Ke had killed himself, an official with the People's Procuratorate in Chongzhou said: "Yes, that is true. Along with the police, we are looking into the circumstances surrounding Ke's death." Choi Chi-yuk

 

Investigation into luxury property claim

Shanghai authorities are investigating a local official after he was reported to own a large villa, which he should not be able to afford on his income. A recent internet post claimed Lu had a large house on 2,000 square metres of land. An initial probe showed the main building belonging to Lu Ming, deputy head of the Pudong New District government, had a floor area of 247 square metres. There was also a 63-square-metre one-storey house, a Shanghai inspector said. Xinhua

 

PLA naval squad to join drill in Pakistan

The 14th Chinese naval squad heading for Somali waters would take part in a multinational drill in Pakistan next month, Xinhua quoted military sources as saying yesterday. The "Exercise Aman-13" is scheduled to start in the North Arabian Sea on March 4. The fleet has three ships, two helicopters and a 730-strong troop, all from the North China Sea Fleet under the PLA Navy. Staff Reporter

 

Work set to start on new Beijing subway

Beijing will start to construct a new subway line next month in a bid to help ease traffic in the capital. The No 16 Line, which will pass through downtown Beijing, is expected to be operating by the end of 2016, the Beijing City Subway Construction Management Company announced. Beijing added four new lines to its operation two months ago. Staff Reporter

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or