Shenzhen residents mourn man swallowed by massive sink hole | South China Morning Post
  • Wed
  • Jan 28, 2015
  • Updated: 1:24am
NewsChina

Shenzhen residents mourn man swallowed by massive sink hole

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 28 March, 2013, 10:33am
UPDATED : Thursday, 28 March, 2013, 10:59am

Candles were lit and wreaths laid on Wedneday night by residents in a Shenzhen residential compound for a 25-year old security guard who died after being swallowed by a massive sink hole, which opened up under his feet on Tuesday evening.

The sink hole that swallowed Yang Jiabin appeared near the northern passage of Jinzhou Mansion, a residential building in Shenzhen’s Futian district,according to media reports. It’s only two metres from an adjacent construction site belonging to the Shenzhen Press Group, a publisher of some of the city’s leading newspapers.

Residents said they had been complaining about tremors ever since construction started.

Fearing the building was no longer safe to live in, many residents moved out on Wednesday night and protested silently on the streets.

Shenzhen’s Housing and Construction Bureau released an investigation report on Wednesday night, blaming the construction crew near the residential compund for failing to follow correct safety procedures when working on the building.

Shenzhen officials said they had ordered a halt to construction and promised to assess the conditions of Jinzhou Mansion before residents can move back. 

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or