'No sex' claim in assault of six schoolgirls is challenged
Authorities say the schoolgirls remain virgins despite not being given physical examination
Authorities in Wanning city, in Hainan , are facing new challenges to their claim that a headmaster and a government official sexually assaulted six primary schoolgirls but did not actually have sex with them.
Following inconsistent medical reports on the girls' virginity, Wanning deputy police chief Ye Guobiao was quoted by The Beijing News and Beijing Times yesterday as saying that doctors were not allowed to perform checks on the hymen of an under age girl.
When asked how the authorities concluded that the girls' hymens were intact if no examination had been performed, Ye reportedly hung up the phone.
The city's publicity department refused to give further information on the case, pending the conclusion of a police investigation, the reports said.
The six girls went missing on May 8 and were found in a groggy state over the next two days. Surveillance video confirmed that they had been in different hotel rooms with the headmaster and the official.
The city's prosecutors formally arrested the two suspects on Wednesday, saying there was evidence suggesting the two had violated the law.
Parents of the girls have disputed the official investigation, with one father saying his daughter's vagina bled for four days after the alleged incident, local media reported.
Citing one of the girls, The Beijing News yesterday reported that she and another girl were allegedly offered 5,000 yuan (HK$6,300) each in the hotel room by the headmaster after he told her that "it would only cost him 3,000 yuan to find a virgin to sleep with".
But the Beijing Times, citing a parent of one of the girls, said the children did not mention any monetary deal offered by the suspects during the alleged incident.
Meanwhile, a schoolmaster in Qianshan county, Anhui , was recently prosecuted for allegedly raping a number of schoolgirls, the Beijing Times reported yesterday.
Prosecutors said Yang Qifa, 59, had sexually assaulted at least nine schoolgirls in the past 10 years, with the youngest victim in primary one and the oldest in primary four when they were raped.
Yang's rapes were not exposed until last August when two cases of sexual assaults first came to light, and resulted in the exposure of other cases involving victims aged between six and 10 whom he abused in his office.
Yang, a father of two boys, was officially charged in March but no verdict has been reached in his case.