Guangdong manhunt ends with arrest of man suspected of chopping schoolchildren

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 22 May, 2013, 7:58am
UPDATED : Thursday, 29 August, 2013, 4:13am

Police in a Guangdong city said early on Wednesday that they had arrested a man accused of injuring six children and one woman with a butcher knife, ending a manhunt that gripped the province the evening before. 

Maoming police shared dramatic photos of the arrest on its Sina Weibo microblog. The man, 32, surnamed Liao, has been described as mentally ill.

The attack occurred in the late afternoon in the ciy's Yangjiao township. Liao, a local, attacked the children near the Baiwu village primary school, striking their heads, police said. 

Liao then fled the scene. More than 360 police officers were sent out to find the suspect. Around 2am on Wednesday police said Liao had been arrested nine kilometres outside the village.

All those injured in the attack are not in critical condition.

In December, a knife-wielding man attacked 22 children and a woman at a primary school in Henan. In October, a man killed three children and injured 13 when he went on a rampage at at a day-care centre in Guangxi autonomous region.




You may also like