• Wed
  • Oct 22, 2014
  • Updated: 5:13am
June 4th protests
NewsChina
POLITICS

Tiananmen mums blast Xi Jinping for inaction on political reform

Open letter accuses president of taking party backwards and failing to account for '89 events

PUBLISHED : Friday, 31 May, 2013, 2:08pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 01 June, 2013, 4:12am
 

More than 100 members of the Tiananmen Mothers support group issued an open letter yesterday saying they had been disappointed by President Xi Jinping's public speeches and his reluctance to tackle political reform.

In the letter, headlined "Hope fades as despair draws near", the group said Xi "has mixed together the things that were most unpopular and most in need of repudiation" during the eras of former paramount leaders Mao Zedong and Deng Xiaoping . The letter was released yesterday through the New York-based group Human Rights in China.

Deng was the leader who oversaw the bloody crackdown on the pro-democracy movement in and around Beijing's Tiananmen Square in 1989 in which hundreds of young protesters were killed. The Tiananmen Mothers comprises parents of those victims.

"We also have not seen [Xi] criticise in the slightest or make anyone accountable for the three decades of Deng-style 'lame reform'," the group's letter said. "What we see, precisely, are giant steps backwards towards Maoist orthodoxy.

"This has caused those individuals who originally harboured hopes in him carrying out political reform to fall into sudden disappointment and despair," the letter said.

Professor Ding Zilin , the founder of the group, said they had once hoped that Xi would follow in the footsteps of his late father Xi Zhongxun , a reformist leader, and press ahead with political reform.

"We thought Xi should have the backbone, like his father, to do something for China's political reform and democratic development, but now we've found he is just following what his predecessors Jiang Zemin and Hu Jintao did," Ding said yesterday. "Both Jiang and Hu each wasted 10 years; as the son of Xi Zhongxun, you shouldn't follow them.'"

Zhang Xianling , who lost her 19-year-old son, said the letter would let supporters worldwide know they "would never give up despite their disappointment in Xi".

The group, now 123 strong, has repeatedly called for Beijing to publish a full list of those who died and to compensate relatives. It has documented at least 202 individuals who has died in the "June 4 massacre".

Asked about the letter, Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei said Beijing had long ago "reached a clear conclusion" about June 4. The successes of the past two decades "shows that the path we have chosen serves the interest of the Chinese people", he said.

 

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

4

This article is now closed to comments

BobbyWong
Minni, you forgot to mention Tiananmen Mothers and HRIC are both funded by US government via NED grants.
ejmciii
I am sure their displeasure is giving him an ulcer.
tugar@live.cn
我们认为,习应当有同其父般的决心和毅力来为中国的政治改革和民主发展做一些事情,但是现在我们已经发现他仅仅是在步其前任——江泽民和胡锦涛的后尘。江河湖都各自白白浪费了十年,我们希望习仲勋的儿子溪不要再白白浪费十年。
1418651171@qq.com
在大陆,这种消息都无法看到。
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or