• Fri
  • Dec 26, 2014
  • Updated: 9:35am
Apple
NewsChina
TECHNOLOGY

Apple to investigate reported iPhone 5 shock death

PUBLISHED : Monday, 15 July, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 15 July, 2013, 5:12am

Apple has promised to "fully investigate" reports that a woman was killed by an electric shock from her iPhone 5 while charging it at home.

A spokeswoman for the technology company said: "We are deeply saddened to learn of this tragic incident and offer our condolences to the ... family. We will fully investigate and co-operate with authorities in this matter."

According to mainland media reports, Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old flight attendant with China Southern Airlines, was picking up her iPhone 5 to answer a call while the battery was being charged when she was electrocuted and killed.

The incident reportedly took place at her home in Xinjiang on Thursday.

It has sparked safety concerns over the bestselling smartphone.

Ma's brother, Yuelun, said in an interview with Apple Daily that the family believe she was killed by an electric shock while using the phone. He said the iPhone in question and its accessories had been handed over to Xinjiang police for investigation.

Online, microblogging site Weibo was flooded with posts urging fellow users not to make calls while charging their phones.

Experts in Hong Kong warned against using any electrical device while it is being charged.

Johnny Sin Kin-on, a professor at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, said: "There is a risk using an electrical device while its installed battery is being charged, be it a shaver or a phone."

Dr Peter Chiu Ping-kuen, head of the department of electronic and information engineering at the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (Sha Tin), expressed a similar view.

"But we do not know the circumstances of the incident and it is not suitable to jump to any conclusions at this stage," he said.

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
12

This article is now closed to comments

KwunTongBypass
No need to get rude about something we do not know. My condolences! What if for example the young girl was grabbing her phone, attached to a charger, while she was sitting in a bathtub?
ohyeahar
If the phone in this case wasn't an iPhone, people would be outraged at the manufacturer (i.e., Samsung, HTC, Sony, LG, Nokie, etc). But because it's an Apple product, it's the lady's own fault for using the phone while it's charging?
This sort of double-standard when it comes to Apple products is just baffling.

Pages

Login

SCMP.com Account

or