• Tue
  • Sep 30, 2014
  • Updated: 4:29pm

Beijing airport explosion

A 34-year-old man in a wheelchair, upset over a crippling beating he received years ago from rogue security guards in a southern city, detonated a home-made explosive device outside the international arrival hall at Terminal 3 of the Beijing Capital International Airport on July 20, 2013, receiving serious injuries. 


Security tighter at China's airports after bomb set off

Authorities deny tighter measures are in response to weekend blast in Beijing

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 24 July, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 24 July, 2013, 10:15am

Some mainland airports have ramped up security checks after a home-made bomb was set off at Beijing Capital International Airport at the weekend, but the government denied that the new measures were linked to the small blast.

The intensity of the checks varies, but air travellers generally had their shoes and belts inspected and were also screened by multiple explosives detectors. Luggage was also screened more closely.

The prolonged boarding process resulted in complaints from some travellers about delays.

On Saturday, a wheelchair-bound man from Shandong detonated a pack of black flammable powder in protest over an injustice he said he suffered while working in Dongguan , Guangdong, eight years ago. He injured himself and an airport security guard.

A spokeswoman for the Civil Aviation Administration of China said yesterday that the explosion in Terminal 3 had nothing to do with the security increase.

"Summer vacation has begun. The security increase is to better ensure passenger safety as air passenger flow increases considerably. We do it every year," she said, without giving her name.

"The explosion at Terminal 3 was an isolated incident. It would not change the security level and management at Chinese airports."

Meanwhile, Beijing airport authorities said they were merely following orders to increase security checks, but declined to say if it was related to the explosion. They also warned passengers of possible delays.

"The increase of summer passenger flow, coupled with more security checks, could make boarding take longer than usual," said an airport spokesperson, who also declined to be named.

"We have taken all possible measures to ensure safety. Passengers can come and go without fear or worries."

But some travellers were still on edge. On Sunday, a 48-year-old man from Meizhou , Guangdong, was detained in Beijing's Terminal 3 for handing out leaflets. The Beijing Morning Post reported his actions caused some people to panic.

Some travellers at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport also complained about stepped-up security, according to the Jiefang Daily.

Elsewhere, Shenzhen Baoan International Airport set up bomb detectors in the departure area and passengers were screened before entering the airport, according to The Southern Metropolis Daily.

A SWAT team patrolled Guiyang Longdongbao International Airport in Guizhou on Monday, according to the Guizhou Business News. In Jiangxi , a puffer explosive detection machine was used for the first time at Nanchang Changbei International Airport, Information Daily reports.



Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive




SCMP.com Account