Victims of Tiananmen Gate car crash still being treated in hospital
Twelve still in intensive care after being mown down by jeep
Twelve of the 38 victims of Monday's apparent suicide car crash in front of Tiananmen Gate remained in intensive care in hospitals yesterday, while another five have undergone operations, official media said.
The other victims, including three Filipino tourists and a Japanese man, are still being treated in hospitals, the official Qianlong.com news portal reported.
Meanwhile, Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs spokesman Raul Hernandez told ABS-CBN TV in Manila that the Filipino who was killed on Monday was the mother of two daughters and had been vacationing in Beijing.
He said the woman's husband and one of her daughters were in hospital with fractures, while the other daughter suffered only minor injuries, Associated Press reported.
Antonio Morales, an official with the Philippine embassy in Beijing, told the Post the woman who was killed was a doctor.
A male tourist from Guangdong also died in the crash.
The Japanese man is an employee with a Shanghai-based company, according to a press official with the Japanese embassy in Beijing.
Kyodo news agency reported that the man, in his 30s, was conscious, but his memory of the incident was affected. He had lost several teeth and had other injuries to his body.
The report said the man would demand an explanation from the Beijing city government.
Security remained tight at Peking Union Medical College Hospital, Beijing Hospital, Beijing Tongren Hospital and Beijing Puren Hospital where Monday's victims are being treated for various injuries.
A staff member at Beijing Hospital said two of the injured people were being treated in the intensive care unit.
They were Chinese nationals, a man and a woman in their early 40s. She was not certain how serious their injuries were.
Video: Several dead, dozens injured in Tiananmen Square car crash