Beijing says religious extremists behind latest Xinjiang unrest
Religious extremists behind assault on police that left 11 dead, state media reports

Religious extremists were responsible for a "terrorist assault" in the far western region of Xinjiang that left 11 people dead, state media said, adding details about the latest violence to hit the restive area, which has a large Muslim population.
An investigation showed Friday's attack in Wushi county, close to the border with Kyrgyzstan, was an "organised, premeditated terrorist assault targeting the police", Xinhua reported, citing Xinjiang police.

A group of 13 terrorists trained for six months under a man named Mehmut Tohti, who had "spread religious extremism" for three years, Xinhua said.
It did not identify him as one of the mainly Muslim Uygur people who call the region home, but his name suggests he is one.
Xinhua said that the extremists listened to audio recordings and watched videos of terrorist acts before the attack on police vehicles.
Since January the group had been producing explosive devices and knives, the report said.