• Thu
  • Dec 18, 2014
  • Updated: 9:49am
NewsChina
CRIME

Police bust 62 sex trade gangs and arrest hundreds in Guangdong vice blitz

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 26 March, 2014, 1:58pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 27 March, 2014, 4:08am
 

The vice crackdown that began in Dongguan last month has resulted in the arrest of more than 850 suspects and will expand across Guangdong before it wraps up in May, provincial police authorities said yesterday.

Zheng Dong, the deputy chief of Guangdong's public security bureau, said the three-month campaign against the illegal sex trade has already led to the break-up of more than 60 criminal gangs, according to the Southern Metropolis Daily.

It had cost more than 3,000 hotels, saunas and massage parlours their licences. So far, 865 people had been arrested, including 541 accused of running prostitution businesses.

The crackdown began in the wake of a February 10 China Central Television report accusing Dongguan authorities of allowing a massive sex industry to flourish in the struggling manufacturing hub's hotels and bathhouses.

Zheng said fighting prostitution across a province that borders Hong Kong and Macau was a formidable task which required perseverance. Municipal police bureaus would be held accountable if they failed to crack down on vice in their jurisdiction, he said.

Thirty-six police officials in Dongguan, including Yan Xiaokang, the former deputy mayor and head of the city's public security bureau, have been suspended or removed from office on suspicion of protecting prostitution businesses. In addition, some 854 websites and more than 96,000 public instant-messaging accounts have been closed for promoting sex services online.

The Yangcheng Evening News reported that the provincial department of public security had drafted new rules and regulations to standardise the operation of massage parlours, saunas and other entertainment venues.

The measures, which would ban VIP rooms and prohibit massage parlours from locking doors and shutting off the lights, are expected to be submitted to Guangdong's executive conference for approval.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
7

This article is now closed to comments

nicolas
prostitution will be back sooner....WHY?...simply these corrupt government officials and police force depend so much on this for their daily needs and income...they're simply the owner and operators of this sex dens....corrupt communist government....
daily
I can't see how it is possible for Donguan to survive economically if this sweep on prostitution is to last for an ongoing period of time...........I mean, does the Central Government realize how much Donguan needs the prostitution industry in order to survive?................without it, it will eventually be a ghost town and the prostitutes would just have to eventually move elsewhere.
China is a BIG place and it would be impossible to sweep out prostitution from everywhere.........You stamp out Donguan, and it will just have to move elsewhere.
lucifer
Wrong time for this.......what are all this people going to do for jobs in the declining economy? MB50 billion a year business? i think all that corrupt and stolen money has dried up for now. They benefited just like restaurants and Karaoke bars. Those days are over.
420mao
Be positive...Everyting will be back in force within several months. We are talking about a revenue RMB50 billion per year. I am sure a deal is being negotiated. Just wait and watch....So typical....so traditional...
dharmakarma
Ahhh…now you are an ethical economic adviser
lucifer
That's what happens when you F$#k a stranger in the a$$.
dharmakarma
Oh boy, so that's what it is all about, did you try reporting again I hear PRC Police look into sexual crimes in more due process.

Login

SCMP.com Account

or